Can't access the internet with local area connection 2

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Xplay, Jan 5, 2010.

1. wyrman

wyrman MDL Member

Nov 21, 2007
    #21 wyrman, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
    Onboard NIC?

Edit: Sorry just read your earlier post. Seems like a driver issue for some reason.

2. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    I don't think so to be honest, cause the nic itself seems operational in the screen earlier.

But you can never be sure untill you test that with other drivers.
    So do try that out. I'm curious also...

3. Xplay

Xplay MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    Where should I go to try a different driver? My network adapters are Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller and NVIDA nForce Networking Controller. The one not working is the Marvell Yukon. The device status says the device is working properly and it says the driver date is 9/28/2009 driver version 11.22.3.9. This is the port that wont connect. Also the previous driver installed was version 11.5.3 and the driver date for that was
    2/23/2009.

4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    try the previous one...

5. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    According to this thread you have dynamic IP not a static IP so you just leave them set to automatic as DHCP will give them correct data. Also disable IPv6.
    You are right that there are a lot of people complaining regarding similar issues but as far as I've seen in most cases it is hardware failure (in my case was my DSL modem).
    Did you try updating routers firmware? It could be that it does not support WIN7!
    Also, try removing completely the router, connect you modem to computer just to check it if it works ok. In my case my cable was working fine but my DSL modem was going crazy.

Cheers

6. harise

harise MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2009
    I do have the same problem from time to time too, with a Cable Modem and a D-Link router. Restarting the router usually solves the problem.

7. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    #29 genuine555, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
    If restarting the router solves it, then it's more like a memory leak in the router. Probably your log-memory gets full and the router just blocks because it can't allocate the log entries anymore. When restarting the log memory gets emptied and it starts working again.

That's a firmware issue, and can only be solved by updating it, or flashing with dd-wrt firmware.
    The programmers of your firmware simply neglected to implement a fail-safe for that, like for instance an automatic refresh every 1000 entries, so new entries can keep getting allocated in the router's memory.

I solved that exact issue with my belkin router (had to restart every couple days), by flashing with dd-wrt firmware, and now the restarts aren't needed no more.

8. Xplay

Xplay MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    Tried it doesn't work.
    I haven't updated the routers firmware but like I said even with out the router I still cant connect online. Just being connected with the cable modem it still wont connect with the top port. I doubt it the modem or router because I can get online using the bottom port of my PC, the NVIDA nForce Networking Controller (local area connection 1)

Also when I boot in WinXP both connections work with no problems. I notice in XP that Marvell Yukon is Local area connection and the NVIDA nForce Networking Controller is Local area connection 2. Its the other way around it Win7. Is there a reason for that? Both of these are onboard my motherboard btw.

9. harise

harise MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2009
    Good idea. There is actually a firmware update for my router. I'll give it a try...

10. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    dd-wrt is like diamonds, it's not for everybody ;)

11. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Well put. Diamonds are forever, and for some unreachable and unmanageable.

12. Xplay

Xplay MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    Got bored today and decided to do a fresh install on Win7 and see if that fixed the problem, it didn't. Only the bottom NIC is working. I was wondering though, Win7 detects and finds the drivers I need so is it necessary to install my chipset driver for my motherboard? I didn't the first time I installed win7 and everything worked fine including the NIC that's not working now. There are no new chipset drivers for my board though so should I install it? Its an older board, Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe. Do you guys think it would fix the problem?

13. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Man, try changing the router (just to check), find a friend or someone you know and take his router for a few hours and see if it happens again (check compatibility with WIN7).
    If that does not help than send your modem to your ISP for testing.
    Another thing, did you notice leds on modem, is any of them blinking or they are just staying green (ususal color)?
    Reading again the whole thread and from your print screens, one can say that you have connection problem. Now, you did not have that problem with XP do this leads to Compatibility issue.
    You mentioned that you have removed router and your connection does not work again (modem failure?).
    You just focus on modem and router leave the chipset (if it was chipset related you would probably had problems with XP also).

Cheers

14. Xplay

Xplay MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    The only led blinking is the data one. I don't understand though if I can get online on the same computer using windows 7 using the bottom nic then why would it be a modem or router problem. Would the router and modem cause one nic to work and not the other ?

15. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    very unlikely.
    It's not the modem or the router.
    The nic works in winXP, so the issue must be software based.
    Try some other drivers for the nic if you haven't yet.
    I allready said it's probably not the drivers, but you never know...

16. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Did you try disabling one NIC?

17. Xplay

Xplay MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    Yeah I tired disabling it and uninstalled it .Then re enabled and tried using the older driver , it didn't work and then back to the new driver and still no connection.

18. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Maybe the nic is just broken. Some little chip or resistance that gave up on you.
    Try another nic, they sell for no more than 10 bucks.