Can't create system image. 0x80780119 error after upgrade from 8 to 8.1.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by cichy202, Oct 19, 2013.

1. cichy202

cichy202 MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2013
    #1 cichy202, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Hello!

I have upgraded my Windows 8 PC to 8.1 yesterday and it seemed like everything is working fine until I tried to create System Image. I got an error 0x80780119 saying that there is to little space on one of the partitions.

I started looking into this problem and indeed one of the partitions does not meet the requirements. There are following partitions on my drive:

Code:
    DISKPART> list partition

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
      -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
      Partition 1    Recovery           300 MB  1024 KB
      Partition 2    System             100 MB   301 MB
      Partition 3    Reserved           128 MB   401 MB
      Partition 4    Primary             74 GB   529 MB
      Partition 5    Primary            390 GB    75 GB

Partition 1 has only 13MB free space. Partition 2 has 70MB free space, partition 3 is MSFTRES, partition 4 is my C drive with around 35GB free and partition 5 is not included in system image.
    Partitions were create like this during installation of Windows 8 - clean install from scratch. I am using UEFI so the drive is GPT formatted.

So I thought, OK I can resize my C drive a little, move the partitions and expand the 1st one. I tried using GParted but it is not able to move the MSFTRES partition. It does not recognize the file system on it.

So the question is:

Is it possible to "clean up" the 1st partition in anyway?
    If not, is there anything special about MSFTRES partition? Or can I just remove it and create it a little further and just flag it as msftres with GParted?

2. cichy202

cichy202 MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2013
    I saw this. None of this actually help.

I have already performed deletejournal on this drive but there was no change in used space. And the resizing part does not actually apply to me because my Recovery partition is 300MB.

3. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Ok...
    The 100MB system partition and the 128MB MSR partition are required for GPT boot disks. Don't mess with these. If you attempt to remove them, you will no longer be able to boot that drive.

4. cichy202

cichy202 MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2013
    I know that they are needed and I do not want to remove them. I just wanted to move them a little and since I can not move the 128MB one, I wanted to delete it and create another one.

5. cichy202

cichy202 MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2013
    Those also do not apply unfortunately. My partition is 300MB so I need only 50MB free space. The solutions you posted are applicable when the partition is 500MB (so you need 320MB of free space) - the trick is to shrink the partition by few MB so it is less than 500MB and 50 MB free space is then enough.

6. ph03n!x

ph03n!x MDL Member

Apr 21, 2008
    #8 ph03n!x, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    @cichy202 I was in the exact same boat, and this is how I have gone about to fix this. In fact I wonder if all those who got the recent 8.1 update tried a backup. Mine is a Lenovo L430 with 8 Pro preinstalled, and this is the partition layout.

Code:
    DISKPART> list partition

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
      -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
      Partition 1    Recovery          1000 MB  1024 KB
      Partition 2    System             260 MB  1001 MB
      Partition 3    Reserved           128 MB  1261 MB
      Partition 4    Primary             51 GB  1389 MB
      Partition 5    Recovery           350 MB    52 GB
      Partition 6    Primary            400 GB    52 GB
      Partition 7    Recovery            12 GB   453 GB
    In disk management,
    Partition 1 is shown as Recovery
    Partition 2 is EFI System Partition
    Partition 3 is not listed
    Partition 4 is the Boot/ Windows partition
    Partition 5 is OEM Recovery
    Partition 6 is my data and stuff
    Partition 7 is Recovery - this has the Lenovo preload

In my case it looks like the damned upgrade did not use the actual recovery partition (Partition 1) but went ahead and created a 350 MB (not sure if this partition was there already), and filled it with 320 MB worth of image and recovery files. The remaining 30 MB - vanished. Not sure if that the NTFS overhead, but
    Code:
    fsutil usn deletejournal /N /D F:
    did nothing.

Finally I reached a point where I didn't want to figure this to the bottom but work around it. I created a recovery CD so that I have something to boot if I had a crash, assigned drive letter each to Partition 1 and 5 through diskpart (assign command), took ownership/ rights for their contents and copied the content from partition 5 (updated wim file - there is a XML that said it was from 8.1) over to partition 1 (was the Windows 8 set), and deleted partition 5 using
    Code:
    delete partition override
    Create Recovery Drive does not let me create a recovery media anymore - I can boot off the Recovery CD I created though.

Now my System Image shows just the EFI and System partitions to backup, and backs them up without a problem. I will figure out how to mark the Partition 1 as the OEM Recovery drive when I have time, but for now this is how I am getting it going - after all I can still restore my C: and EFI from the backup with the Recovery CD I created...

7. cichy202

cichy202 MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2013
    I managed to get to the sam point as you. I have resized all partitions, but I can not boot to recovery partition anymore...

8. cichy202

cichy202 MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2013
    * This applies only to UEFI and GPT installations! *

OK it took me a while to figure out what to do, but I have managed to fix that.

First of all create backup of everything you have on your PC that is valueable. In my case I created only the system image using Macrium Reflect Free.

Secondly I have installed EaseUS Partition Master Free and shrinked the system partition (C:). Then I have copied the 128MB MSFT partition closer to the C partition and removed the original one. For some reason the EaseUS Partition Master did not want to copy the EFI partition so I used MiniTool Partition Manager (also free) to copy it just like the 128MB partition. Last I had to expand the Recovery Partition.

After restart I turned out that recovery partition is broken for some reason and Windows does not recognize it. So I booted with GParted live CD to check if it is OK and it was - so no luck here. But I have noticed that the 128MB one does not have proper flag set, so I set it to MSFTRES with GParted.

OK. The only thing left to fix was the recovery partition. I decided to format it and deploy the Windows Recovery Environment again. So I removed the partition just to be sure that I get clean "normal" partition and created it again using EaseUS. Then I have followed this tutorial: ht ** tp://w ** ww.se ** pago.de/e/nicholas/2012/07/25/windows-recovery-environment-re-explained . I just had to set proper flags on the volume with DISKPART: gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001.

After reboot and some quick testing I saw that everything works fine, but for some reason the recovery partition is mounted on every boot even though it is hidden. Disk Management showed that the partition should not have any letter assigned, but it was visible in "This PC". I removed the letter using Diskpart and then immediately fixed the MountedDevices registry key using this little tool: h ** ttp://ww ** w.tech ** spot.com/community/topics/usb-drive-or-flash-problems-how-to-cleanup-and-remove-old-usb-storage-drivers.145884/ .

Now everything is up and running. Windows sees the recovery environment and backup works as charm.

(remove stars from links - I could not post a response with links)