Can't create System Partition

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ziggy34, Oct 17, 2009.

1. ziggy34

ziggy34 MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2009
    Any Ideas?

The problem.

Trying to install Win 7 Ultimate x64

I get to the point of it asking where to install to. Hard disk is blank, so I click new to create a new partition, on other systems it comes up and says windows will create a system partition. It does not do it now. it just creates one partition. then when you click next, it comes up and says it could not create or find a system partition and all I can do is cancel the install.

Any ideas?

edit: Only one hard disk hooked up. installing from USB flash drive.

Thanks

2. Wagnard

Wagnard MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    Check in your bios that the hardrive you want to install windows 7 is the primary booting device.

This could also happen if you have a USB key connected to the computer.

EDIT: Ok I saw that your installing from usb. Check in bios that the drive that you want to installed is selected as the primary . There should be an option not too far away of the boot order for that.

3. ziggy34

ziggy34 MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2009
    Yes, HD is set as the primary boot device.

4. vision

vision MDL Member

Oct 14, 2009
    #4 vision, Oct 17, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
    If you want to boot from USB, you must set BIOS Boot Order ( Boot Sequence) as FIRST Device.

Your HDD is new one ( Blank one ), As installing screen appears,You have to click NEW => Apply => Format ( Wait for while ) = > Next ( Now it'll install ).

There's a preserved system partition 100MB. DO NOT choose this as primary.

Good luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    do this:

load up the disk and when you get to the intstall now screen hit shift+f10 this will open a command prompt.

In the command prompt type in: diskpart

in the diskpart prompt type:

list disk (disk 0 should be your hard drive, it might not be but 99.9% of the time it is, your USB stick should be disk 1)
    select disk 0 (or whatever drive you want to install windows on)
    clean (this will erase all partitions on the hard drive) if you want to delete a specific partition just type in list partition and then select partition # (where # is the partition you want to select), then type in delete partition
    create partition primary
    select partition # (where # is the number of the partition you just created)
    active
    format fs=ntfs quick

now just go back to the GUI and try to install like normal.

6. night.fox

night.fox MDL Member

Sep 21, 2009
    Sorry for this OT guys...

but do you really need to create a 100mb? Cause I have installed win 7 x64 ultimate into my 3 partition HDD (laptop) and but it is running for 2 months with no problem now...

I've run disk management just to clearly check

this is how it looks:

@ ziggy,

sorry mate. Dont mean to hi-jack your thread..

Attached Files:

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    That is only because you already have an active boot partition windows 7 won't make the 100mb one then.

8. night.fox

night.fox MDL Member

Sep 21, 2009
    oh Ic. Many thanks sir for the quick reply

9. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    i installed mine from a falsh disk and i had no issues like this at all i removed the old windows xp partition and the was nothing on the drive anymore and it installed like it should with the 100mb system partition and everything

10. ziggy34

ziggy34 MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2009
    Yep, I know, it has worked for me also. But on this one machine it won't.

What is even funnier, I have two desktops that are Identical, every piece of hardware is the same, one it worked fine, the other one is the one I having the problem with, going to try what HSChronic posted and see if that works later today.

11. ziggy34

ziggy34 MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2009
    Well I tried that and it did not work, get the same message.

any other ideas?

12. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Have you tried rebooting & running the install again? I get the same thing after I wipe a hdd. The 1st time I try to install the OS it errors but a reboot works. I think when I wipe the disk with "gdisk 1 /mbr /wipe" the mbr must be invalid or something & the initial failed install fixes this....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. deedwar

deedwar MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2007
    #16 deedwar, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
    I had the same issue with my install using Grub4dos and i had to use the following entry to get it to work

title Windows 7
    find --set-root /iso/win7.iso
    map /iso/win7.iso (0xff)
    map --hook
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    chainloader (0xff)
    boot

The important part was "map (hd1) (hd0)"

If your not using grub4dos and bootmgr instead then sorry but obviously my suggestion wont help.