Can't disable DEP and enable PAE

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by christantoan, Aug 24, 2010.

1. christantoan

christantoan MDL Junior Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I want to enable PAE and disable DEP
    but even through EasyBCD and BCDEdit it doesn't work even though they say it completed successfully

My system
    W7 Ultimate x86 Daz's Loader (Because my BIOS is unmoddable, doesn't know why)

Thanks in advance

2. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    To disable DEP, don't do it through BCDEdit, its much easier to go to the control panel, and then make sure its on 'small icons' or 'large icons' under the 'View by' selection at the top right hand corner. The category view is stupid and is much harder for people to find what they want.

When in this view, click 'System' (as DEP is a system setting), then 'Advanced system settings' on the left hand side, then click the 'Advanced' tab, then 'Settings' under the 'Performance' section, and then the 'Data Execution Prevention' (aka DEP) tab. From there you can select whether you want it for just essential Windows programs or services, or whether you want it enabled for everything except for what you select which can be done below.

You should never disable DEP completely, there is absolutely no need to do it! Since DEP is enabled for Windows and its services only as default, there will be no incompatibility caused to programmes. If there is an issue relating to a programme and DEP under that settings then its a bad programme that will at the very least cause your computer to run improperly...

In terms of PAE, it can't be enabled because its not really supported. PAE is a rough workaround for 32-bit Windows that enables access to memory beyond the 4gb limit. Its primarily for Server use since it is NOT fully stable. For one thing, 32-bit drivers aren't designed to work with PAE, let alone programmes. People have claimed it does work with a kernel patch, but that is dodgy beyond words and you would most likely have to not install some updates since the patched files may be replaced... then there's SP1, and there are also other issues.

If you have 4gb of RAM or more, then x64 is the way to go. If you have 3gb or less, than PAE is absolutely useless and pointless for you anyway so it doesn't matter!