Can't get "SFC /scannow" to work...

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MonarchX, Oct 15, 2014.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    #1 MonarchX, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    It says "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service". I was researching online and found a solution that didn't work. The solution was to copy the Trusted Install folder name from Windows\WinSxS and then create a key in registry (HKLM...\Component Based Servicing\Version) with the same pathway. For many people with this issue - that key is missing, but not for me. The key was always there and it was proper - "6.3.9600.17246" was the key name and "%SystemRoot%\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17246_none_fa4ae8e99b1f603c" was the key value. Just to make sure, I edited permissions to take full control of "Component Based Servicing" directory, deleted the original key, and then re-created it from scratch. But that didn't solve the issue... My Windows Installer service and Trusted Installer (Windows Module Installer) services work perfectly fine, letting me install updates and any other software that uses MSI. Generally speaking, there are no service-related issues and I yet I keep getting "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service" when trying to use "SFC /scannow" command.

What does SFC command depend on? Some kind of service? Could someone help me out, please? Could it depend on performance counters? I had all of them disabled, which never caused a problem in the past...

2. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    #2 MonarchX, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    (OP)
    I also get '"bcdedit" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file' when I try to use bcdedit command, but bcdedit.exe does exist in Windows\System32 directory... It happens about the same time SFC stopped working. I think it could be a permissions problem... I tried to login to my MS account and then tried to use it only as local account, but either way I cannot get neither SFC nor BCDEDIT commands to work.

3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    #3 s1ave77, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Sounds like the system is severely tampered :g:. Any experiments performed which might led to this state?

Does a dism restore still work?
    Code:
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    or by pointing to a mounted ISO where X is the drive letter and 1 the maching index:
    Code:
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:wim:X:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I don't use System Protection if that is what you meant. I always use Acronis True Image for my backups as they make perfect 1:1 copies. I just did "Take Ownership" of the entire Windows folder, but that also didn't help. How can it not see bcdedit.exe?

ALSO - I just noticed that in Environmental Variables, the lower box had Path set to some nVidia folder. I set it to Windows\System32, but again, that didn't do anything. I mean I wasn't even messing around with services and permissions after my last Windows install, so I have NO idea why this would be happening.

5. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    The dism restore isn't related to the System Restore, it's an additional way to repair Component Store corruptions introduced with Win 8. It's recommended when sfc fails to run :g:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    OK, how do I use the DISM restore??? Please be gentle - I am a total idiot, but I CAN follow basic instructions. Also, if I do use DISM Restore - will I have to re-update some files? I always download the latest updates via Windows Update and additionally via WHDownloader when it has new updates available.

7. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Copy 'n Paste the above commands into admin command prompt. First Codebox is the default way which requires internet for the repair, in case it works.

8. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    It says it cannot service 64bit OS with 32bit DISM.

9. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Huh ... on a x64 system (which yours is as i assume) that would mean the cmd/dism from syswow64 not system32 folder is used :g:.

10. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    In Environmental Variables is there ComSpec correctly pointing to %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe?

11. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Yup.......

12. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Confusing behavior :g:. In my test to run in non-admin command prompt it asks for elevation and starts the run in a new CMD window.

13. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I just re-installed Windows, ran updates, installed some software, didn't touch services or permissions or any of that. SFC /SCANNOW results in exactly the same error! WTH is going on???

14. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    #15 MonarchX, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    (OP)
    I think I narrowed it down though.... Whenever I try to run SFC /SCANNOW, Even Viewer logs should that Windows Search cannot be started. However, Windows Search service is set to Automatic and is running! Its DCOM Error 1053...

I also forgot to mention that immediately after Windows was re-installed, SFC /SCANNOW did work just fine, but then it didn't and I have no idea why...

15. kbman

kbman MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2012
    You said sfc worked right after install then failed at a later time, so did you do any updates after first install sfc scan and the failed scan? If so it could be an update that is causing the issue. If that is not the case it might be time to do a hardware check. I would start with hard drive and memory test. It sounds like the hard drive is getting corrupted.

FYI when I get hard drive errors I always do 2 checks before I assume its the hard drive or controller at fault. First I always change the hard drive data cable, then if that's not an issue I check the power (of course hard to do without multimeter).

16. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Odd... I removed Aero Glass and then I figured that SFC SCANNOW not working isn't worth another fresh install and that I can go on without it. So I disabled Security Center service, then I disabled Windows Search service, and then I turned off Windows Defender real-time scan, which disabled Windows Defender service. I also keep Windows Update disabled until I know new updates came out. Now suddenly SFC /SCANNOW and BCDEDIT and all other commands that didn't work are working perfectly! WTH is going on? I don't know, but I'm about to make a Acronis True Image 2015 backup so save current system state, where everything works!

17. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Just from your last post, I would first assume Aero Glass is the culprit. As the rest of your list should have no effect on the system. Are you installing Aero Glass shortly after installing the OS? Best practice would usually be changing one thing at a time instead of a bunch of things, to help narrow the problem down to what is causing it. Removing more than one variable at a time makes it pretty hard to figure out what is causing an issue.

18. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Must be a rare problem with AeroGlass, if it is :g:. Running it on 2 physical machines, a notebook with Win 8 and main machine with Win 8.1.1. Additionally on two VMs. No such problems here.

19. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    #20 MonarchX, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    (OP)
    I also removed UXTheme Multi-Patcher, but I had been using it for a while and I don't recall having problems... I wasn't actually USING it as I've never even came across a 3rd party theme I badly wanted to have, but I always had it installed and it kept its service running in the background all the time too. This is truly so strange...