Can't install IE11

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by doveman, Aug 13, 2014.

1. doveman

doveman MDL Member

Apr 22, 2010
    My brother's unable to install IE11 via Windows Updates, as it reboots a couple of times and then gives up saying it's rolling back the changes. So WU is stuck on that and doesn't show any more recent updates.

I told him to try downloading IE11 and installing it manually but he's reported that does the same thing.

He's also got a problem with Foxit Reader, as even after I uninstalled and reinstalled it IE doesn't show the addon and just displays a black x when he tries to open pdfs in it. It works fine in Iron Portable though.

He has a couple of other problems, one being the PC waking overnight and not going back to sleep. powercfg /lastwake seems to show this is being caused by a component of EaseUS ToDo Backup called Agent.exe, even though the only scheduled backup is set to run daily at 12:00 and has been running then (or around 16:00 on some days when I presume he had the machine off at 12:00). I think I've disabled this schedule now and I edited some Windows Tasks (sync time, regidle backup, etc) that were set to run at 00:00 or 01:00, to 12:00 or 16:00 so I'll see how that goes.

The other problem is that sometimes when he wakes the PC (or finds it already woken) he can't get the display to come on. In fact, he says he checked and Caps Lock/Scroll Lock/Num Lock don't change the keyboard lights and Win+L or Ctrl+Alt+Delete don't do anything either, so it seems that the whole system has crashed on waking, not just the display, even though everything's still powered up, fans spinning, etc.

Anyway I need to fix his IE11 problem first and get that installed and Foxit Reader working in it, if anyone has any ideas?

2. ruellesmith

ruellesmith MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2013
    I'm not really sure what's wrong with your PC. Have you run an anti-virus? I think your PC needs a security check. Or you can use System Restore to go back to an earlier setting.

3. pamadhilwankalan

pamadhilwankalan MDL Junior Member

Nov 16, 2013
    i think there is corruption in operating system. and moreover please explain what internet explorer version is installed. i mean you can't upgrade from version 8,9 to 11. you have to install internet explorer 10 first. then think about IE 11.

4. Zigen

Zigen MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2013
    Looks like that PC has quite some corruption issues. Best to do a fresh install of the OS.