Can't Turn Off Laptop Dell Win10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by thebestim, Sep 30, 2016.

1. thebestim

thebestim MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2016
    Hello everybody, my laptop (Dell) is runned under win 10 but it can't turn off. After shut down, it still run althought the screen turns black. I must hold the Start button to turn off it entirely

2. speedbirdengineer

speedbirdengineer MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2011
    I might not be 100% correct, but try to install Dell's last latest Intel Management Engine Interphase driver for your service tag. Uninstall & delete the Microsoft one that might have been installed thru the device manager. Try that & see. It seems on certain comp including other manufacturers this driver causes problems- happened on my Mrs' Lenovo Yoga. Other than that follow instructions of other pros in this forum, cos they know a lot more than i do. Maybe this will help.

3. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014

how old is your dell? mite be HD is time to change it.

4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Calling Dell might be an option, especially if your machine came new with Windows 10 or is listed on the Dell site as Windows 10 upgrade capable.

5. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    This is an issue with Windows 10 - but if you use MS shutdown it will/should function perfectly.
    logo --> power --> shutdown. works all the time- yes annoying to waste all the click. but
    or press and hold the power button for 3 to 5 s.... will also SHUTDOWN.

6. sandy2006

sandy2006 MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2010
    Have you turn off fast boot

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #7 Enthousiast, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    It's most likely a Dell/Win 10 ACPI or ATK (afaik) compatibility or setting problem, if it was a "Win 10 only" problem all would experience this.

Shutting down using the "press powerbutton for 4 seconds" method was needed in the past but only after windows was shutdown properly.

It's not recommended to use because it's a hard shutdown, windows will not be closed correctly and at next boot all sorts of problems can/will occur.

8. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    #8 stayboogy, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    there's nothing wrong with your laptop and you don't have to do anything for it to shutdown. it will shutdown after about 30 to 45 seconds. it's because "fast boot" is turned on--it is on by default in windows 10. this happens on every machine i've installed windows 10 on until i turn off fastboot so people don't freak out like you are lol

you can turn it off by going to control panel--power options--choose what closing the lid does--change settings that are currently unavailable--uncheck fast boot

also, disabling hibernation also seems to turn off fast boot mode

9. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014

who told u that? mine is turn on and it does not do that.

10. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    no one told me.

it's what i know from what i've seen on every device with windows 10.

not fastboot in the bios, fast startup--fast boot might have been a bad choice of words.

fast startup here (see attachment)--the option is removed in mine because of changes i've made to the install.wim and group policy edits.

Attached Files: