Can't update to Windows 10 9860.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by darknethacker, Oct 23, 2014.

1. darknethacker

darknethacker MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2011
    Hi All,
    I'm having a bit of a problem updating to 9860, I successfully installed 9840 and have been using that for a few weeks.

I checked for and downloaded the 9860 build and it proceeded to re-start, but upon re-starting, all it does it restart back into 9840 without any updates.

I've tried going to preview builds which gives me the option to install the build but the same thing happens every time, restarting back into 9840.

Any ideas people?
    Cheers,
    DNH

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Upgrade process is bitchy sometimes (prefer myself fresh installs for that reason):

• Check Windows Update for missing updates and install
    • Uninstall 3rd party Antivirus
    • If that doesn't help opt for a fresh install

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mimart7

mimart7 MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Did you tinker with the registry at all? If you did any tweaking to enable builds that aren't for the public, that could be your problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    That seems to be the number one problem for an upgrade fail that I've seen lately.

5. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    they way I got it working was to install the first build and then immediately
    without installing any programs or antiviruses update to 9860 via build update.
    the only thing I had to do was to activate it by phone cause it deactivated (thanks tito)

like s1ave77 said best option I guess would be a fresh 9860 install

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    May today I'll try to create a new Windows to Go drive from within the updated Laptop to an build 9860 becauise it's impossible to directly update the initial W2G TP to the 9860 build. Activation will be need to be done manually while just use the PC-Settings Activation function while changing the P-Key to the Standard P-Key for Enterprise. I don't see that would be a problem.

7. mimart7

mimart7 MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2012
    People need to back up their registry before making any changes. It's so easy to do. It take so little time, and can save people grief.

8. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    @pisthai phone activation and immediate update after win to go first boot should work just like mine I have enterprise

let me know this weekend i might test it on an external hard drive

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    What I want to do seems NOT to work!

OK, I inserted the USB3 HDD and started the W2G process which was find my HDD with no problem. At the fisr installation of W2G I didn't had any problem on build 9841 Enterprise. I updated the Laptop to build 9860. Now I get the install process asking for the TP Image and I pointed it to the Windows folder on C Drive and the Recovery folder on C Drive which contains the .esd file. None of them will works and same applies for any folder on the C drive!

That said, it seems to be that the Windows to Go will work on build 9841 or ity need an complete and clean installation of the build 9860 first.

Someone has chyecked to install Windows to Go from an running build 9860? Thanks for any info.

10. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I think the recovery folder contains the previous image if you upgraded from the previous TP.
    You might need to make the iso for the 9860 build if you want to do windows to go.

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I was think abou that. Just to know that the direct creation didn't work after an update to a later build, is some info for others and myself to avoid loosing time!!