(caution) Windows 8/7/Vista KMS Activation non-genuine status

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by AlexAlba, Dec 7, 2012.

?

Did you have the problem described in this post with any of your Windows 7/Vista VM?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    32.8%
  2. No (even though i used the B4W3 key)

16 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. No, I activated them with a Windows Server 2012 KMS HOST

23 vote(s)
    39.7%
  1. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    Let's just hope there's no mechanism for clients to tell the server to deactivate itself. :)

2. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    @TCM
    According to this there is no way to know keys of HOST from client... I am confused

3. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
  4. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    I apologise, I should have included more technical details in my post. I activated against Freestyler's WES7-based host, so it's using the original BenSaunders host key for the Client product group, not the Server 2012 key. The test client installation was retail Win 7 x86 Pro SP1u, installed with Win 7 Pro GVLK.

Edit: We don't know how MS is checking, but I assume they don't need to know the KMS host's product key. The KMS host's extended PID is available in the client, and that's presumably enough.

5. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    Do you think that, if Microsoft already knew the Server2012 key, they would have blocked it too with one strike? So in conclusion, they don't know it yet?

OK, makes no sense. They surely know the ePID.

6. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    I think the absence of a block is no indication whether one is coming or not. Bear in mind the client-channel key was around a lot longer than the server 2012.

Here is some food for thought: at this point, I do not believe that there is much point in Microsoft spending a lot of resources on blocking the ability to activate Windows 7 specifically (or 7 and Vista) via leaked KMS. So here are a couple of things this might mean. It may be very straightforward already for them to add a KMS host's extended PID to the validation checks they are already doing. Perhaps as simple as entering the ID in a database, so they didn't have to do much to add it. Alternatively, they might be preparing a validation solution for Windows 8 as well, and the Windows 7 check is collateral.

7. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    I thought the ePID is tied to a specific KMS host key and identical on all clients activated by that host? Is that not the case?

8. AlexAlba

AlexAlba MDL Addicted

Nov 27, 2012
    Yes. I've installed Windows 7/Vista using those keys.

9. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    I checked ePID on server core & Datacenter build from same token & both are different...
    Morning i will test this update on Windows 7 based KMS host to will see what will happen. whether M$ blocked those Host Keys or not...

10. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    The ePID is unique for all clients.
    But I think that somehow the server can be derived from it, or at least you can compare 2 ePIDs and see if it was activated using the same server or not. If MS activates 1 client using a pirated host they can invalidate all ePIDs that were activated using the same server. They don't even have to know what server it is.

That's what I think, but it might very well be wrong...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. AlexAlba

AlexAlba MDL Addicted

Nov 27, 2012
    As Stannieman said, I'm talking about the KMS HOST KEY. It's already been blocked my M$. Tested it on Windows 7/Vista (Enterprise and Professional). Sorry, it was (KB971033). My bad. You need to install the (KB971033) update first and then go to windows .microsoft . com /en-uS/windows/help/genuine/what-is-validation and you will get the message saying your windows is not genuine.

12. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    I checked my ePID on my 2 Windows 7 computers at job and they are the same, so M$ can probably detect, from the ePID, that the computer was activated from illegal KMS server.

Now, the question :

If we use the tokens backup but on 2 different installation, doest the ePID (on the client) will be the same?

I mean, if I install 2 Server 2012 and activate them both with the leaked ATM backup, will both server will give me the same ePID (on the client) or not?

If the answer is NO, then proably that M$ will be able to block pre-build KMS server (KMSmicro, nano, etc.) but not made by ourserves.

If the ePID is the same, then it is just a matter of time to be impossible to activate Office/Windows/Server from KMS leaked key in the future ...

:(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. AlexAlba

AlexAlba MDL Addicted

Nov 27, 2012
    M$ blocked the KMS HOST key not the client keys.

14. AlexAlba

AlexAlba MDL Addicted

Nov 27, 2012
    Have you tried to validate a Windows 7/Vista machine activated by a pirated KMS HOST?

15. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Already answered above.. Me & vymrdal checked & its different.

16. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Ok, so is it the CLIENT that was tagged as not genuine or the HOST (the KMS server itself) after the update/WGA check?

17. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    So they can't detect the KMS host used to activate from the ePID since it change?

So this is good news, no? (yes please?)