CCleaner's usage on Windows has become obsolete

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by WIKIMACK, Aug 5, 2016.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    All right then...

But that explain the catch 22 quote.... You understand that the book is actually meant ironic? :jester:

2. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Months later, and we still need CCleaner, I highly suggest using it to clean things no one needs. To quote Spiderman "With great power comes a big responsability" .. so take care and ensure you only use the things which you really can delete to avoid problems.

3. j0neill

j0neill MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2016
    article and author are right. friend of mine worked at a tech shop and said ccleaner would often hose a lot of machines from 98 to vista. His shop later banned the use of it cause they lost time/money due to it wiping peoples computers. Glad they had backup images from before!!

4. Winaddict

Winaddict MDL Junior Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Very vague statement, a friend of friend said his friend this and that, typical of pensioners' discussions.
    Everyone in the business knows to be careful with cleaner softwares so you don't just click "delete" but you check the files one by one and if you don't know what is, you don't delete it.
    And if a business owner just do a scan and delete everything, then he/she shouldn't be in the business at all.
    By the way, I don't trust Ccleaner anymore synce it changed ownership to a well known antivirus business which was hacked LOL

5. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

Once again:

I have been using ccleaner for many years and always and every day used the registry function.
    Not once has there been any incident.

The problem with ccleaner NOW is their co-operation with an AV company and the built in telemetry. But, there is no need to update. F.E. 5308 works just fine....

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    CCleaner cleans cookies and by that destroys user's experience, I can not think of anything else, which would cause any damage.
    I actually always create shortcuts to turn off a computer with CCleaner, it is a great way to keep it running fast and malware free.

7. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    ccleaner does not delete cookies.... YOU DO!

Your comment is quite silly,
    The one huge advantage that ccleaner offers is that there is a page where you can select the cookies you want to keep, and the rest then gets deletes.
    So not every crap website can leave its cookie.

Its very simple. Only requirement is that you WANT to see this. and you quite obviously do not...

8. maddogster

maddogster MDL Senior Member

Mar 23, 2015
    i use superantispyware to get rid of all the cookies it finds every so often in quick scan, ccleaner just to clean up regstry every so often

9. Winaddict

Apr 29, 2012
    Last time I used it was several years ago and I don't remember if there was a free edition.
    But alway be cautious during installation not to add unwanted garbage.....

10. Winaddict

Apr 29, 2012
    It's sad news but we're seeing more and more free or shareware software pushing more software with it, usually you've to be careful during the installation process to un-thick that crapware so how is CCleaner installation, do you have the choice of avoiding Avast?
    I was looking for a good free antivirus but after reading the latest bad news about the sneaky Avast I decided to avoid it, not a smart developer!

11. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    There is no problem with CCleaner, but Avast is not necessary for you and anyone else - never.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Winaddict

Apr 29, 2012
    It's a fishing exercise and many people get caught because during installation they just click next next next and then they cry that they have a new browser, different settings and new crapware installed, the developers know these things.

13. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    According to a user in another board where I posted the above, there was no tick to remove - and he's an experienced user that looked for it. So he says he didn't have a chance to avoid Avast. I also checked the installer myself and could see no tick, but I didn't proceed with the installation to see if I'd get Avast.

14. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #57 kaljukass, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    It is absolutely true that is not it there, but is in other window and only in this case, if there isn't yet any active antivirus installed ie service not running or missing at all.
    Recommendation - do not talk about things you have not used yourself.

16. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I don't have to use the installer to see that there is no box to untick. So, do not talk about seeing things that are not there and do not accuse people of faking images to blame Piriform without any proof. And you now come with a new theory that doesn't make sense and you have not proved either. For someone who provides no proof and contradicts evidence, you have a loud mouth.

I don't have Chrome installed and yet there is no tick, text, or other mirages you claim to see....
    Do not talk about things you don't know. In fact, judging by your consistent bad manners around here, it's best that you don't talk at all.