CD drive dissappered

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by xpor1, Oct 20, 2008.

1. xpor1

xpor1 MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2008
    For some reason a couple fo months ago my cd sopped working. when I went to my computer it didn't show. Iwent into the reg. and deleted the first and the last string. Still nothing. Can someone shed some light.

Thankds in advance Xpor1
    :rolleyes:

2. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cawamor

cawamor MDL Novice

Jun 22, 2008
    Is it SATA or IDE...

4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Making a diagnosis without knowing the patient

1. Does the BIOS report the presence of the CD ROM?
    2. Does DISK MANAGEMENT report the presence of the CD ROM?
    3. As a diagnostic step, when this first happened, did you attempt a restore point to a time when it did function?
    4. Did your cat pee on the machiune and short out the CD ROM?
    5. When you were in the machine cleaning up cat pee, did you inadvertently unplug power or drive cables
    5. Sure would be nice to have basic info regarding your diagnostic approach.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. zort

zort MDL Expert

Feb 19, 2008
    Look in device manager to see if the cdrom drive is listed. If it is listed but it can't load the driver, the reason I have found most often is that iTunes or other cd recording software has been uninstalled. A reference to a filter driver used by the program is still in the cdrom class of the registry, but the file no longer exists on the hard drive. Navigate to this key and see what UpperFilters are listed.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

The one created by iTunes is GEARAspiWDM. Backup that registry key before making changes. If a filter driver looks suspicious try removing it from the key. You can click properties on the file on the hard drive to see what it is. (If it isn't on the hard drive that may be the problem.)

After removing a filter driver go to device manager, Right click on the cdrom drive and uninstall, Then right click in the device manager again and scan for hardware changes and see if the cdrom comes back normally. If you remove a filter driver that was not the problem you can restore it by double clicking the registry file that you exported in the beginning.

6. WongaWonga

WongaWonga MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2007
    i seen this before

its to do with the ide drivers, they sometimes get corrupt, you have to remove the drivers for both ide ports and let windows redetect them

7. Blindbat

Blindbat MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2009
    6.Was your wife at the PC with a Coffee and used the built-in Coffee cup holder?