Cd-slic-ldr

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by xinso, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Danimator

Danimator MDL Junior Member

Jul 18, 2009
  2. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    #22 FreeStyler, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
    See my previous post... i just uploaded them (SLICLDR file is hidden, so it looks exactly like it would do originally) :)

3. AristoChat

AristoChat MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Hi i like this solution ...

Is there a way to put what you did FreeStyler on a non-sandisk U3 pendrive ?

Thanks in advance

4. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    That would be difficult, i do not know any other USB pendrives that behave like U3 drives do, eg: have 1 CDFS partition, which is read only and 1 regular USB removeable drive

5. Bagheera

Bagheera MDL Member

Jul 21, 2009
    #25 Bagheera, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
    tested and works great thnxs for putting this one in mine cdrom collection.. in case i need it in the future!

THNXS!

[edited:]

Is it possible to make a cdrom (bootloader) with all the released slic2.1's? (brands) and choose a perticular brand
    (in mine case probably asus)

So i kan choose the matching (brand) certificate and key with it.... (for the future)

Then probably a edit (and reburn) to make that choice permanent... (you don't wanna choose each time you boot)

I can help too (am used to program and use photoshop for the cosmetics)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. JFMuggs

JFMuggs MDL Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I haven't tried this particular image, but UltraISO will put bootable ISO images on normal flash drives and they boot up and run just like the CD/DVD itself.

7. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    Yep, it won't be read-only so it could be detected/circumvented, but then again i can not imagine MS will burn their fingers by removing boot-records from removable drives, bootlo@ders on non-removeable drives (HD, SSD) is another story though

8. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    You can edit the SLICLDR file with winhex or such en put in another SLIC, although i don't see the point in doing so, DELL 2.1 SLIC will do the job until OA 2.2/OA 3.0 (?) comes out with Windows 8 (?)

9. nexas

nexas MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2008
    I can confirm that this solution worked on my XPS m1330 system :)

10. JFMuggs

JFMuggs MDL Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Get serious. They won't know if it was loaded from a CD, Flash Drive, ZIP drive, or what, and they certainly aren't going to spend any time or effort or add code to try and somehow remove it. If they do anything, they'll simpy add code to WGA to detect this key and invalidate the system's activation. And that's only possible if they get a new key to Lenovo before it's shipped to any legitimate customers.

11. dj516nadz

dj516nadz MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    would this method work if i used it on asrock AMI motherboard P4i65G i have a dell.xmr cert or would u know of a better method

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. JFMuggs

JFMuggs MDL Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Try it and see. There's nothing to lose. It doesn't make any permanent changes to your system.

I've been having excellent luck with WoW7 from Yen and prefer it myself.

13. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    Right, you really made me laugh :)
    You do know how virus scanners and/or malicious file scanners work?
    You do know these look at file heuristics, patterns if you like, a bios emulator (Grub with SLIC information) in a file on physical drives can easily be detected using these same techniques... and guess what, Windows 7 has a build-in malicious file scanner.

If you had read my reply thoroughly you would have seen I did not say they ever are going to do something like this, but if they do and you ended up using any of these 'brilliant' bootlo@ders that installs itself on a physical drive, you could end up being screwed (read as: deactivated)

14. Bagheera

Bagheera MDL Member

Jul 21, 2009
    correcto mundo... thats why i like this solution.. to be prepared....

But i will play around (hex).. because it s a funny idea... to have slic2.1 on mine box with the use of a cdrom-loader.....

15. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Why is everyone afraid about M$ to disable the HDD resident bootloader?

Since the hacked bootloader is in fact a GRUB bootloader from linux and that M$ do not forbid dual-boot installation with Linux, how can they remove/replace that GRUB file to prevent SLIC modification? They day that M$ will do that, they may create problem with dual-boot configuration and that have more trouble with the Linux community, no?

16. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    It is a modified GRUB bootlo@der, original GRUB bootlo@der does not have SLIC information in it, by checking file heuristics/pattern they could easily identify the original GRUB bootlo@der VS the SLIC bootlo@der, the popularity of these modified GRUB bootlo@ds (just take a look at the amount of topics here) will do the HDD resident bootlo@der no good, in my opinion it will not be the question 'if' but more likely 'when' counter measures against the use of GRUB bootlo@ders will be introduced.

17. 69218

69218 MDL Member

Apr 30, 2009
    #37 69218, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  18. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
  19. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    WinXP SP1 killed most of the Corp. Ed. installs.
    Vista SP1 knocked out the most widely used boot loaders.
    What do you think M$ will do in Win7 SP1. :D

20. murderer

murderer MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2009
    Is it work in all DELL pc? because I have a DELL Precision 490 BIOS B8K?