Change the booting style of Vista or 7 x64 versions from BIOS-MBR mode to UEFI-GPT

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by skodabenz, Sep 18, 2009.

1. skodabenz

skodabenz MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2009
    #1 skodabenz, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
    [deleted]

EDIT: Deleted.

2. chenxiaolong

chenxiaolong MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2008
    Thanks for this. I had a question about this. I sent it to you via PM.

3. molder

molder MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Hi,
    I followed you how-to but I needed to read loads of microsoft tech doku to get on.

I started in windows 7 pro x64 an executed gdisk.exe from sourceforge.net (gpt fdisk o.6.4)
    It started to convert MBR to GPT but then suddenly I had a blue screen with "partitionmgr.sys"

I booted my ubuntu live dvd. Started gParted and thank good all Data alive (I made a backup before).
    And the System SSD is marked as GPT.
    Fine.

Then I thought I shall boot from the Win7 DVD in UEFI mode (I have an ASUS P8P67 Pro, with UEFI)
    I did this.
    But after the "windows files are loaded" it did stop at the green progress bar. It just didn't start the Setup, it did run that bar forever.

Hm...

Then I deleted my 100MB EFI system Partition in NTFS, which was left from the old MBR system. It contained the bootmgr stuff.
    I then created a 100MB FAT32 an flagged it "boot" with gParted.
    I then resized my 75GB Windows Partition to make space for a 128MB MSR Partition
    I then launched a VISTA PE live DVD (because the win7 didn't launch, as mentioned above) and started diskpart.
    I created a MSR partition.
    And used totalcmd to copy the c:\windows\boot\efi files to the newly created an mounted 100MB fat32 Efi partiton (J:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\)

Now I hope I can boot the UEFi DVD mode correctly to let the Win7 setup build the BCD.

4. molder

molder MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2009
    #4 molder, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
    It booted from UEFi-DVD and repaired the BCD.
    I then went to the BIOS/UEFI and selected "run efi shell from file system device" but aber some seconds it did pop up a window with the heading "warning" and in the windows only written "0".
    And the I was back in the BIOS/UEFI.

Now I have not only my SSD, HDDs and the DVD as Boot-Device but also "Windows-Bootmanager".
    I did boot from the "Windows-Bootmanager" entry.
    It now displays "Windows Error Recovery"
    I will select "start windows normally", other options are safe mode, safe mode with networking and safe mode with command prompt.

-------------
    Now it does make a checkdisk on the NTFS Windows partition.
    -------------
    I'm back on my system. What a nice an relaxing feeling. All Data ok.
    Thx for your how-to.

5. markymark12

markymark12 MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2011
    I tried doing this, then ended up with nightmares with an autochk not found error and the following error:

THE SESSION MANAGER INITIALIZATION SYSTEM PROCESS TERMINATED UNEXPECTEDLY
    WITH A STATUS OF 0XC000003A
    (0X00000000 0X00000000)
    THE SYSTEM HAS SHUT DOWN

For anyone else who does this, after a lot of effort I found an easy fix. You need to map the drive letter C to your main partition. You can probably do this with diskpart from the Windows Recovery CD, though I used Disk Director.