Changed motherboard now windows is asking me for activation

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by cosminmocan, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosminmocan

cosminmocan MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2012
    I activate my windows through kms and the free media center offer ,(when it still worked) now i want to reactivat emy windows but i dont know how.
    Shoudi try calling (considering that i dodnt payed for it ) please share youre opinions.

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Try phone activation... if not worked then move to pro & use MStoolkit to activate

4. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Use the MStoolkit

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Should use the MSToolkit because he activate already with KMS before change of MB! That means he didn't has a legit Key!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Careful reading help better...

7. cosminmocan

cosminmocan MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2012
    It worked tryed again and it worked , now i want to backup my key,any idea.
    The ideal for me would be to make myself an bootable usb containing the win8pro with wmc and the key ,or i wan to know just how to read this one or preserve ,sorry for my confuzin g spelling :D

8. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    #8 murphy78, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    You could get an xdelta patch for the pro to prowmc and then mount the install.wim index 1 in dism, do a /set-productkey and copy over the data.dat and tokens.dat files
    Example script would be something like this for the dism stuff:
    Code:
    dism /mount-wim /wimfile:c:\win8\sources\install.wim /index:1 /mountdir:c:\mnt
    dism /image:c:\mnt /set-productkey:xxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
    xcopy c:\actbackup\data.dat c:\mnt\windows\system32\spp\store /cherkyi
    xcopy c:\actbackup\tokens.dat c:\mnt\windows\system32\spp\store /cherkyi
    dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:c:\mnt /commit
    I haven't actually tested that, windows might do something to the files during install. But, you can try it.

9. cosminmocan

cosminmocan MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2012
    I want to do it as clean as it get`s ,if you think this will work i will do it right away

10. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    If the dism method doesn't work, then using ATM or simply copying the 2 files yourself are the only alternatives.

11. cosminmocan

cosminmocan MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2012
    So know i have done the backup of the license (manualy and using atm) call me crazy but a windows license is pretty valuable to me.
    Now i read on the atm this,,install the same drivers``` and here start my question i will reinstal the windows just because i have a faulty driver (an ide driver) its because this is my 3rd motherboard ,now what shoud ido normaly make the windows 8 pro with the wmc normaly or shoud i do something else ?
    Just for my silence i will also be doing a partition backup using norton ghost so that if it fails (hopfully not) to have something to hang to .
    And also thank`s for all youre helo guys im like new here and u all helped me alot .RESPECT guys :D

12. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    You simply can not transfer a license once you swap a motherboard when it is not 100% identical, case closed (and so is this topic)