Changing corp to retail?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Webkikr, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Webkikr

Webkikr MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2010
    Hello,

I have a customer that purchased a system from a less than reputable dealer where we live, and now is getting the pop ups that he might be a victim of software piracy.

He has purchased a retail version or Windows XP, and I have that here.

What I am wondering, is can we change his current installation from XP Corporate to XP Retail without re-installing?

I ask because he has more than 700gb of data on a 1tb disk, and he doesn't want to risk it being screwed up in a back up/restore. He also has so many applications installed, it would take weeks to install it all again.

If I have no other option, then so be it, but it would be much easier.

2. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Webkikr

Webkikr MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2010
    Thanks, but I think since he paid for a legal retail version, I am almost certain he would like the retail license installed.

4. Siliwangi

Siliwangi MDL Member

Aug 11, 2009
    or try WGA Remover, google it. :)

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    How to Change the Distribution Channel Version of Existing Windows XP Installation

1. Boot up the computer using the CD of the Windows XP edition (retail, OEM or volume licensing) that user wants to upgrade or convert the existing installation to.

Note: User may have to change the boot device priority or sequence in BIOS.
    2. Windows XP setup wizard will launch and ask user to setup Windows XP, press Enter.

Note: Do not press R or select the option “To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R” option.
    3. Accept the License Agreement.
    4. Then, select the Windows XP installation you want to repair (change the channel) from the list and press R to start the repair process.
    5. Setup will copy some files.
    6. Reboot the computer.
    7. Windows XP installation is now properly changed for retail, OEM or volume license according to the version of CD been used.