changing from Pro to Enterprise

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by night.fox, Aug 24, 2012.

1. night.fox

night.fox MDL Member

Sep 21, 2009
    Hello all. First my apology if there was raised question about that already but I cannot find it somewhere.

Is there a way to change to Enterprise from PRO without reformatting? Keeping files and apps. and also vice versa from Enterprise to PRO.

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Good question!

Maybe it's possible because MS tells that the media (not the download) contains all versions of Windows 8. Depend on the P-Key used it will install/activated as the P-Key related version.

So, in an cenario to change the installed version without re-installation, it's maybe possible to first un-activated by deleting the used P-Key and after that to re-activate with a new P-Key. That MAYBE could change the verison or may didn't!

So, please don't take my word for it, it's just a maybe unrealistic thinking!

A search at the MS site and/or their forums/blogs may will give a precise answer.

On the other hand, I tested with Enterprise an Pro for to install on an activated Enterprise Apps and Data and after that used Windows Easy Transfer for to "backup" that Apps and Data, After installed A pro Version without P-Key and let run un-activated and used again Windows Easy Transfer for to restore those Apps and Data, which were working well. But you've to keep in mind that you could not use to do that from 64bit to 32bit and vice versa. Also not use to backup Wondows settings and restore them on the other version, that will end up in a crash!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. night.fox

night.fox MDL Member

Sep 21, 2009
    Thanks mate. I didnt know you could back up the apps. Perhaps you were right cause when installing Win 8, depends on the key you installed. Yes of course in a real world you cant just simply transfer 64bit to 32bit and vice versa. Only way to change from 64bit to 32bit is reformatting. anyway I will try the back up apps and data.

4. antony_blu3

antony_blu3 MDL Member

Aug 7, 2012
    No way you can change version just by changing product key
    Changing product key only changes its "Channel" (Volume / Retail), not the "Version" (Enterprise / Pro)

5. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    There's a key in the registry that specifies the windows edition, maybe changing that plus entering the correct product key could do the trick. :eek:

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  7. Tagiru

Tagiru MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    #7 Tagiru, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    If you have about 16GB in your HDD, you can install Enterprise or ANY Version without reformat the computer.
    Simply you need
    1. The ISO of the Windows edition what you want to install

2.Open Notepad to create a file with following content and save as "ei.cfg", not "ei.cfg.txt"
    Code:
    [Channel]
    Retail

3. Use WinRAR / WinZip to extract the image; a short name preferently. Example: "C:/W8"

4. Put "ei.cfg" what you make in "C:/W8/Sources"

5. Run the installer "C:/W8/Setup.exe", and select your preferences... If you select a clean installation the program simply moves it your current OS files to "C:/Windows.old"; So do not forget to move your files and applications before deleting the folder.

Clarifications:
    It is not absolutely necessary to create "ei.cfg" and add it to the folder "Sources", this is just to skip having to add the product key, also used to select the version of Windows you want to install (for ISO "Windows Core / Pro", Enterprise ONLY contains the same).
    You NEED to have 16GB in HDD, before start installation, Since the image extracted and placed in C:/.

Good Luck!

8. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    In your case (Pro to Enterprise):

Change the EditionID to Ultimate
    Change the ProductName to Windows 7 Ultimate

9. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Shouldn't that read "Windows 8 Ultimate" instead of Windows 7?

10. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Noop!!!

Most of the users misinterpret it; this values fools the setup & forced it to think that it is upgrading from 7 to 8.

;)

11. night.fox

night.fox MDL Member

Sep 21, 2009

Well Ive tried this but still no luck still a pro version. anyway I am downloading and preparing my system for enterprise reformatting. Since I have nothing to do today anyway

12. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Hey... you need to upgrade the system using the installation disc!!! Simply editing the registry don't do the job.

13. night.fox

night.fox MDL Member

Sep 21, 2009
    haha that one I didnt get lolz.... anyway many thanks... I just reformat my system cause I mess up my win 8 pro anyway so need to completely format it