Chew-WGA 0.8, the all-in-one Windows 7 patch

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rohanmishra, Sep 14, 2009.

1. moraless

moraless MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    #21 moraless, Sep 14, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
    When I first ran Chew 0.8, I got an error saying that it doesn't support the UI language of the OS. After that I did the same thing as Rudi1:

I have changed my region an Language setting in controlpanel. What I’ve done:

-Tab: “Format” set to English. -Tab: “Location” set to English. -Tab: “Administrative” I’ve changed the “system locale…” to English. -Finaly tab “Administrative” I copied all Current user settings: welcome screen, new user account. So, Display language, input language and location is all set to English. -Restart and patch!

After that I got 100% success. After setting the date to 1 may 2099 and running the system more than 2 hours, everything went well. No errors, no genuine product warnings.

This is the best release of all. Thanks to anemeros. ;)

P.S. Even if your system is displayed in english, it is very important to set everything to english in order for Chew-Wga to work ;)

2. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    Strange, I thought he was using multi language code.

3. tuvi123

tuvi123 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #23 tuvi123, Sep 14, 2009
    no, he was not.
    but it's a great thing if he will support all languages.
    I think microsoft will not block this method.

4. Paft

Paft MDL Junior Member

Sep 14, 2009
    #24 Paft, Sep 14, 2009
    UI language error

Well done, anemeros.

I have everything set to English (UK) 'Region & Language' settings (which already was anyway), including 'copy settings to' with boxes checked, yet I still get the UI language error.

Edit:
    On Chew-WGA 0.7
    Win 7 RTM Ultimate 32bit build 7600.16385

5. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    I would try to improve the code but he has packed and encrypted it SO much it is just plain silly. I mean c'mon loads of password protected exes stashed inside themselves and stuff is ridiculous. Being this paranoid is unnecessary

6. Paft

Paft MDL Junior Member

Sep 14, 2009
    So, I hear you're working on it.

Take you time. No rush. And no that isn't sarcasm. ;)

7. anemeros

anemeros MDL Developer

Aug 12, 2009
    I added Hebrew support for 0.8.2, which I'll post the link to on here in a moment. However, I don't have any special fonts installed for other languages, so I hope that it didn't effect the outcome.

8. anemeros

anemeros MDL Developer

Aug 12, 2009
    Hi Hazar,

I have an organizational system of CAB files for language resources and miscellaneous included little programs that I wrote for Chew-WGA to perform various tasks. Then the collection of CAB files is put into a single resource for convenience, which I named wga-wat (not password protected). Then the source batch file along with this wga-wat file are put together into a single self extracting archive (also not password protected).

For the GUI wrapper, I used AutoPlay Media Studio. When you compile your build with this program, it adds a feature to allow the executable to be run, but not extracted. I figured it didn't hurt. I wasn't adding these layers necessarily to be sneaky or satisfy my paranoia, but rather, it was a convenient way for me to stay organized and keep the number of files minimal.

In turn, my mostly-inadvertent incorporated obfuscation also helps to prevent tampering for the protection of Chew-WGA's users. I wouldn't want anyone to take my code, add something malicious, and re-post. The way I see it is, if someone was determined to get to the source code, and they knew where to look, I'm sure it wouldn't take all day, but what would be the point? After all, if another coder out there wants to help improve Chew-WGA, they can probably just ask how to get involved. :)

9. anemeros

anemeros MDL Developer

Aug 12, 2009
    #30 anemeros, Sep 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  10. con_lambrou

con_lambrou MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2009
    #31 con_lambrou, Oct 9, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
    hi all, i have run ver 0.8.2 and my gadgets stopped working, turning UAC on or off does not fix the issue. Any idea on a fix?