Chosing DDR3 for X56xx Xeon

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by x86, Dec 20, 2017.

1. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    It will cost me at least 250EUR to get a X99 mobo, plus an additional extra for a decent E5 (used) Xeon, plus a little extra for decent speed DDR4 modules (to match the previous two). And I can't afford to spend more, even though, as you say, it will be a better investment. I m not someone who strives into always having latest spec hardware. As long as it covers my needs, I m OK with it, despite it's age or any other consideration.

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #4 Joe C, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    But you do not have to get the most expensive board they make, you can certainly do well with a B250 board for as little as $60. This will give you an option for a future Optane drive, or just a NVMe drive. Also, you have have other future options for usb 3.1 and a much better pci-e bus rate. Many of those X58 chipsets do not support sata 6
    I an not going to stop you from doing what you want, in fact I do not mind helping you out. But just my opinion to use your finances more wisely

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  6. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    #6 x86, Dec 20, 2017
    (OP)
    I want to give more priority in building something reliable. I am not interested in a entry-level mobo, even if that means support for PCiEv3, DDR4 and SATAIII.
    Statistically, the P6T6 should have a much higher MTBF compared to any entry-level 1150/1151 mobo.

If I could afford to spend $$$ extra for a latest spec build, I d go with Asus X99-M WS/SE or the X99-A II. That, and the added premium for DDR4, and an entry-to-mid-range E5 (roughly equivelant to a X5680/90) rockets the total cost. Of course I d prefer that, but budget is limited.

So I am correct in my initial assumption (i.e. that I won't gain anything if I go above 1333MHz clocked modules)

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #7 Joe C, Dec 20, 2017
    for what you have, probably not

BTW: if you ever decide to upgrade to the 1151 or even what AMD has now, you'll realize just how much your wasting your time and money
    I have no idea where you get that from, all newer boards have solid caps, (like that X58 board) and the B250 is not an entry board The H1151's are the entry boards, those B250's are a mid-class board, They do not rate boards in terms of MTBF. The Z170 boards are a very good board and a whole lot cheaper than those X99's which is most likely overboard for what your going to use it for (considering your using a X58) Even the entry H1151 will run better/faster/more reliable than that X58

8. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
    Given What the topic says you´re board supports xmp memory so is wise to go for xmp memory.

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  10. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    I d go for XMP RAM, enable XMP and ... disable turbo boost?

I wouldn't want my silicon to age faster, would I :p? After all I did mention somewhere I m willing to sacrifice speed for retaining reliability. I don't want to overclock and don't want this happing automatically (due to XMP/turbo boost)

I ll try to cross check what he says, see if there's really any truth to it.

11. pcnavarra

Nov 13, 2017
    #12 pcnavarra, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    There's really no any bit off truth of what the dude says there.
    And is not that specific article he wrote, but others to like the new optane intel tech.

12. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    #13 x86, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    (OP)
  13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #14 Joe C, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    That is a very good board, if you do not plan to overclock then the Z series boards might be more than you need. Just another thing to consider, there are also good "H" and "B" series boards that have many of the same features as the "Z" boards but do not provide over clocking features
    The "300" chip series boards will use only the Coffee Lake cpu's and above (?)
    I question because there are no other Intel cpu's at this time that could use a 300 chip series, but there could possibly be in the future
    Just about all the "200" chip series boards can use the Sky Lake and Kaby Lake cpu's. There are some 100 chip series boards that can use the Kaby Lake cpu with a bios flash upgrade
    Somebody please correct me if I am mistaken

Look for M.2 slots because those are going to become more popular in the near future more than sata ports. Features like the amount of rear i/o usb 3.1 ports, and usb "c" type ports. Some boards will brag about having a Thunder bolt port but as of yet, I've never used the one I have because I don't have any peripherals that can use it. More usb 3.1 ports on board for a future case might be a worthy feature too.
    Read reviews of other boards, some state that the Asus boards are a little faster, but I can't tell if it's advertising hype or beneficial

Edit;
    You must use DDR4 memory with these new boards

14. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Above all, I need stability. Don't care about that extra horsepower that I could gain from overclocking. I prefer a minimalistic approach in software (i.e. services tuning, keeping only things that I actually use) and I d never try to squeeze that extra little bit from hardware.

My decision to go with Coffee Lake is (apart from being the 'latest'), is also because I ll get more power with less heat dissipation as opposed to the equivalent chip from Sky/Kaby. Less TDP = more easier to cool = reduced hardware ageing

I did noticed Thunderbolt in the specs. The Fatal1ty board fully supports Thunderbolt 3. The Z370 Killer SLI/ac board has a Thunderbolt AIC Connector (5-pin) - but not really sure what that means (i.e. Thunderbolt Ready?)

Yes, DDR4 it is of course. As a first step, that will be x2 4GB HyperX Fury chips (8GB in total). Yes, I know I should be going for more, but can't afford it at the moment. I d be hoping for the Predator series (lower CAS), but they don't come in 4GB modules :-(

Still, taking away those extra (nice to have) features, which of those 4 boards has the potential of being more reliable? Do miniITX have a good reputation regarding reliability? I mean everything is so cramped on that Fatal1ty board...

15. pcnavarra

Nov 13, 2017
    In my opinion you should go directly to an intel branded motherboard and pair it with xmp memory.
    So you get all the benefits you described.
    About caps,Power Chokes.etc doesn't necessarily mean you got longer longevity on you´re build.
    Make sure you got a stable Power line from you´re electricity provider and good rated PSU Platinum one is desired.
    :mml:

16. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Can't have an Intel branded board (actually made by Intel), as I don't think there is one yet. Not on z370. Even if there was, it would be at least +50% up the price.
    Other than that, I have spent hours trying to figure who makes quality boards and further investigated their series. Supermicro for example. They do make one or two boards for Z370, but can't find those anywhere. No stock. Also, despite their reputation for making high quality products, I can see plenty of negative feedback e.g. on their X11xx series (LGA1151).
    Asus, more of the same. There are very few, particular models from each vendor that have substancial positive feedback regrading reliability. Of course, there are people who leave negative feedback just because they don't like the design or because they think there should be two extra USB 3.1 ports. I ll just ignore those. I am simply referring to the ones that have a DOA board, or if that board dies after two months or if some ports stop functioning after a while (i.e. due to EMI or whatever). Those are the things that really matter.
    Hence, it seems the brand name alone doesn't guarantee a better quality board. You ll have to look for speficic models. And although I haven't had an AsRock board before, it seems like a decent option. As much as any other really!

Regarding A/C power, yes, indeed very important. I do have an APC surge protector plugged directly to the mains. Haven't tested the socket though. Need to do that. As for the PSU, I was considering the Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold. The only Platinum in that price range is the Seasonic FOCUS Plus 550 Platinum. Does the Platinum certification justify getting 200W less?

17. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I'd say just about all popular board manufacture's make reliable boards. I have a MSI X58 board from 2009 that still runs as good as when it was new. My new boards are Gigabyte brand 1151 boards and neither has been an issue. Maybe I've been lucky with boards. I do hear of boards going bad, but there's reviews on line for an issue with a particular board you can already avoid as you already know. Asus had good customer service, I say had because I've only had to contact them one time about an older board with bad caps a long time ago (do not know about their service today), of course they wouldn't warranty a board out of warranty but they did feel sorry for me and gave a cheap price on a refurb.
    Surge protectors won't do anything in case your home gets a lightning zap, they are only good from power surges from your utility provider. You need to have a back up power supply, called a Uninterruptible Power Supply. It will provide a constant clean voltage to your pc, If your home volts drops low or goes high, that UPS will regulate it to the proper voltages to protect the power supply to your pc as well as the rest of your hardware

18. pcnavarra

Nov 13, 2017
    As I said is just my opinion the choice will be always yours.

19. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012