Clarification On Slipstreaming

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by uffbros, Jan 19, 2019.

1. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    The more I read on different posts on here the more I am confused on what you can and can't slipstream.
    Some have said you can only slipstream the CU's and not the Adobe Reader and the DOTNET updates. Which is it now?
    I was starting with the latest uup and then adding the servicing stack,theCU,and the Adobe Flash using a program called DISM. Can someone clarify what can be added to the .wim and what can't? Thanks.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #2 Enthousiast, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    1. Slipstream is a term not used since xp;)
    2. In general, you can integrate all .msu files and most .cab files, as long as they contain the .mum, .update, etcetc... files (to be short).

So the SSU, Flash, DotnetCU (1809and up) and normal CU can all be integrated by dism.

3. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    That's Microsoft's dism at work. A powerful tool MS has developed for Windows deployment. One of the outstanding things they've engineered. It's really well documented on Microsoft docs. Definitely get to know it. There's not much you can't to with it except remove packages set to permanence. There's a couple third party tools around to handle those if desired.

4. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    I use a little program called DISM GUI by by mikecel79 and its very easy to make a new .iso from this. It uses the DISM process. My last question is : I read that the Service Stack Update needs to be installed first. How does DISM know to install this file first and not the CU or Flash?

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009