Clean installation of W11 - but keeping my current settings/apps/etc

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by TheSkaffer, Jun 23, 2022.

1. TheSkaffer

TheSkaffer MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2010
    I was about to post this in @Enthousiast thread about imaging, but realized it might be off topic.
    There is a tool to collect data about current image and using that as some kind of template when doing a new installation. That was for W10, so not so sure about W11.

How would you - and beware of subsequent questions from me - make a template of your current W11 installation ( Steam, mapped drives, apps, office, settings etc..) and use that as a base for a brand new W11 clean setup?

I did an upgrade from W10 that was like 2 years old so I figure a cleanup and fresh installation might be in order.

2. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Why don't you try an in-place upgrade?
    Mount 11 iso and run setup again, it will cleanup stuff by design.
    Modern windows setup does just that: saves whatever is worth saving, does a clean install (minus formatting), and imports back the saved stuff.
    When there's years of software baggage, a clean install is not worth the time, and the best template is always gonna be the one windows itself makes (when licensing and registry stuff is involved).

This in-place upgrade is a must when doing cross-versions i.e. if going 7 to 10, then immediately after do 10 setup again, likewise for 10 to 11, or 11 rtm (SV1) to 11 dev / beta / rp (SV2).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TheSkaffer

May 16, 2010
    I went for @AveYo 's approach after checking some stuff at elevenforums and it went well.
    Kinda hard to tell much difference since it was mostly due to maintenance, I think it may have been over three years since the last installation. Yeah, probably October 2019. Might even be my longest running desktop.

4. TheSkaffer

May 16, 2010
    After a few days turns out I had to do a manual reinstall of chipset and gpu drivers since the procedure above did really not take those in account.