Clean reinstall 8 -> 8.1 Dell PC

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by phantomlord73, Sep 9, 2013.

Tags:
  1. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I have the leaked Core/Pro ISO. It's both, right? I found that my OEM key is for Core (not Single Language), so I just install with generic Core key, then activate using my OEM key by changing keys to activate it in the System panel, by using "Activate with a New Key" (or whatever it's called) or do I need to do it some other way?

2. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    #22 Humphrey, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I still can't believe that if a genuine owner with a windows 8 pre-activated machine should need to use RW to get key surly when it is Officially released users should be able to just download the update or DVD if that is the case and install key should automatically be recognised from bios.

Considering there is not even a COA:KEY label. Now Lets face it your normal member is not on MDL they just buy the machine with OS pre-installed and if service pack e.c.t came out they would just update. If they had to format and reinstall they had COA:KEY as a last resort so personally I think most should wait until it is officially released.

4. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Dear Urie, I noticed a small change in Window 8.1

In Windows 8, when I enter the setup, it doesn't even ask me for a key as it picks it up automatically from the BIOS. But in Windows 8.1 it didn't pick it from the BIOS and I had to enter the default installation key of Windows 8.1 Single Language, then activate when I was in Windows.

<=Maybe that's why he is asking. just noting

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    8.1 uses 8.0 keys from the bios if they are in a specifc range. If not, then users have to enter a 8.1 key to install and then use their own key to activate. They should have made 8.1 use the entire 8.0 key range.

6. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    ahh I get it now. Thanks pro

7. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    That's where I am right now. I'd like to not go through all the gymnastics, and I figured that the update would be seamless and smooth, not even requiring a key for 8.0 UEFI users like me, and I was a bit stunned by having to enter the key and then not being activated on reboot. I did install the Core/Pro ISO when it leaked, but I went back to 8.0 and figured I'd wait for KMS solutions to roll out.

8. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I'm sure the update that rolls through in an exe format will have some sort of key handling process. These are the MSDN ISOs we've been working with. They are, by definition, designed to be installed on new systems.