Cleaning Nvidia GPU

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by BrokenDaily, Nov 3, 2017.

1. BrokenDaily

BrokenDaily MDL Junior Member

Jun 14, 2017
    I got a Dell XPS 8700 desktop, and the video card is an Nvidia GTX 650 Ti video card (has some dvi ports and a mini-displayport, no hdmi); now I just got my ESD Wrist Strap, and the MX-4 Artic Compound (this one was listed as best choice on amazon) in the mail hours ago, and my ESD Anti-static Mat will arrive tomorrow

I would like to know if there's a tutorial online (video or text/pdf) that can tell me how to safely dismantle my video card so I can clean the gpu of the old thermal compound (I have cotton pads and rubbing alcohol) so I can apply the new compound to it; I got my CPU covered, but any help to NOT f**k up my video card would be appreciated

I tried looking, but so far only got review pages for evga nvidia stuff, and other video cards that are not my model number

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Does it really need new thermal paste? or do you just want to tear open your GPU to play with your new Arctic MX-4?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    I would check the compound only if it was overheating.
    as documented by a monitor program
    Otherwise a good cleanout of the dust on the fins
    with a paintbrush or compressed air
    should be all that's needed

...T

4. BrokenDaily

Jun 14, 2017
    a little bit of the artic-mx4 compound, but do kinda want to know if its even possible without perma-braking it

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    It is a risk to remove the heatsink on a gpu

6. BrokenDaily

Jun 14, 2017
    But possible?

7. BrokenDaily

Jun 14, 2017
    All right, at the time of this post, I have taken apart my Nvidia graphics card, cleaned the heatsink of all the dust and grime, and using cotton pads along with some isopropyl alcohol, clean both the GPU and my computer CPU of the old thermal paste, and applied new paste to both. And I have put everything back together, hooked up all the power cables and data cables, and I'm going to boot it up in a few minutes.

I hope the all God I did not screw anything up, cuz if I did I really hope that will fix it cuz this is my first time doing this kind of stuff

8. BrokenDaily

Jun 14, 2017
    #9 BrokenDaily, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    (OP)
    Success

everything boots up alright, at first, everything ran just a mite bit hotter temp wise, but after a while, everything cooled down a little bit more than what was on by default; maybe ill redo the paste on my dad's video card and gpu someday, but I definitely needed to clean the heatsink on my graphics card; the thing had a thick layer of dust that impacted its performance quite a bit; all that's left is to get a displayport-to-hdmi cable so I can move away from dvi, and im all set

maybe also see about changing out the air filters in our A/C unit, and an air purifier for my room (to remove as much dust as it can) so I can tone down how much dust gets on or IN my computer