Clone WHS Main Drive

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Denco, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Denco

Denco MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2013
    Hi Everyone,

Does anyone here know how to Clone the start-up drive in Windows Home Server?
    I Keep getting warnings that the drive is failing.

I pulled the drive out and hooked it to an external Sata/USB connection and it's showing that there two partitions on it. One with C: SYS (20GB) and the other is D: Data (445 GB). 500 GB total.

I partitioned the 500 GB replacement drive the same way, but I just can't seem to get the data to transfer.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks In Advance....

2. Denco

Denco MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2013
    But it is rocket science. The WHS Box is a HP Media Smart 475. No CD-rom, No VGA port. The only way to get into it is by RDP.
    I pulled the main drive and hooked it up to a SATA/USB Adapter and it is showing two partitions. (C:\sys and D:\Data). Now since this HP Media smart does not have a CD-ROM drive or a monitor port the only way I can think of cloning this drive before it fails is to pull it out and make an image of it. But the problem I'm facing is that when I connect this this drive to another computer new drive letters are assigned. i.e. H:\ J:\ Norton ghost records these images as such. My fear is that if do restore the image over to the new drive it's going to retain the drive letters H:\ and J:\ on the replacement drive which could really mess things up if I booted the server with the new drive.

3. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    #4 Mutagen, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    I say try Norton Ghost anyway. Although I have no experience with it, I use Acronis True Image and Paragon Hard Drive Manager and both of those programs use their own temporary (and not matching) drive letter assignments. When I restore their backup images, it results with the original drive letters, never had a problem.

And don't worry about the destination (replacement) drive. Anything on it is going to be overwritten by the backup image. No point in prepping it with anything. (I.E. - the replacement drive could be new with nothing on it. The restore operation would still work. Commonly referred to as a "bare metal" restore).

4. Ming_the_Merciless

Ming_the_Merciless MDL Member

Feb 7, 2014
    If the drive is too degraded, you may not be able to create a backup image. If that happens, copy all the data you can to another storage medium. Reinstall the OS to a new drive, then restore the data.

If you do manage to create a backup image, be sure to verify it's integrity. Few things as sickening as a restore operation aborted due to a corrupt image.