[Closed] Genuine Win7 Home Premium Key needed

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by soufender, Apr 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Not only because it's not allowed on MDL, nobody will give you a (genuine) working Win 7 Home Premium key...

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    I have stumbled across some HP laptops, as well as desktops, originally shipped with Vista that became compatible with Win 7 after downloading and installing a bios upgrade from the HP support site. The bios upgrade completely replaced a 2.0 slic with a 2.1 slic. Replacing the 2.0 slic with 2.1 would not break the activation on existing Vista machines, since HP reused the same certificate. So the OP could check for a bios upgrade if the oem query tool reports only a 2.0 slic.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  5. soufender

soufender MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    Yes, I've come across that in my previous searches.
    However, as it states "This is an OEM version intended for Sytem Builders only"
    I've read numerous comments suggesting "Don't install OEM MS S/ware ..you'll get no support from Msoft ...always use Retail"
    Therefore, I'm not convinced that it's worth paying 56 pounds for it.

Comments please from MDL users?

6. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    Ask yourself: When was the last time you phone Microsoft for support on Windows?

7. soufender

soufender MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    What about your comment on April20?

8. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    I'm not sure what your asking.

I stated most windows 7 keys been sold on eBay are OEM or MSDN - both illegal to resell. I didn't say they would not work, just that they would not be "legal". And not been retail, won't get support from M$ - but that's no biggy as who uses it?

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Mainstream support already ended for Windows 7 on Jan 13th 2015, so it does not matter because you can only get system builder versions now. You'll still get security updates until 2020....then it's all over for W7

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. soufender

soufender MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    OK. That is a something that I had not considered. Good point.

So.. forgetting support from MS, which I agree with other comments in this thread is 'No Big Deal' ..
    I should have no problem if I ..
    1. Take a full backup of the L/Top hard drive
    2. Install a copy of OEM Win7 Home Premium using the same procedure as I would for a Retail copy.

Everyone agreed??!!

Sorry to 'labour' this. It's only because it's for a neighbour's machine. (if it was mine, I'd just get on and do it!!)

11. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    sounds good to me, in fact....with the ££££ you saved from not getting a retail version, use that to get a 250 gb SSD and install the OEM version of 7 onto that. Your friend will like the difference

12. soufender

soufender MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    OK Experienced MDL Gurus..

Assume a L/top is running a GENUINE Retail Windows7 has a hardware failure and the L/top is scrapped, dumped, destroyed or whatever.
    Question is:
    Can that same valid Product Key be reused on another PC provided that is a RETAIL (not OEM) key?:confused:

13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #34 Joe C, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    For retail versions, you can use Windows 7 in more than one pc but you must remove Windows 7 from the pc the your replacing

For OEM (builders version), the license is tied to the motherboard, once it dies, so does the license (technically speaking). Sometimes you can get around that if the new board has the same chipset, but it does violate Microsoft's EULA. Windows 7 only has a 3.75 yr life span left

14. soufender

soufender MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    I thought that only was the case when trying to use OEM Keys?

15. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    it is... I had to edit my post

16. soufender

soufender MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    Thanks to everyone who gave many helpful answers in this thread

My final question (and then I will leave you all in peace!!)...

Does anybody have a RETAIL Win7 key that is no longer used as the original PC was defective?
    I am willing to purchase it from you. I am not happy that I should use an OEM key for my neighbour's Laptop.

PM me if you wish.

17. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    #38 Mutoid, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    " Unfair Terms of Contract " .... in many jurisdictions there is a legal principle :-

A contract which contains unfair T&Cs is ipso facto invalid , and has no standing in law ,
    regardless of what was signed .
    Or to put it another way .... it is impossible to sign-away your fundamental legal rights in such jurisdictions .

In my personal opinion the W10 EULA may fall into that category.

OK - it's a little off-topic :eek:

We are talking about a W7 License issue here ; but since MS started hiding W10 Nagware inside W7 updates ,
    and in some cases , auto-installing W10 without user consent , we are in uncharted waters legally.

On the technical aspect of the Product Key/ License being tied to the motherboard , everything that Joe C said
    is totally correct , IMO.

There are some easy workarounds to soufender's problem , and a search on this forum will quickly find them.

I neither suggest nor endorse such methods ...... ;)

18. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I don't agree with Microsoft's EULA, especially 10's. But what I think has no meaning to M$

19. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    #40 Mutoid, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    A big yes to that Joe C !

And the other side of that coin ....

.... What M$ thinks has no meaning to ME !