[Closed] ReviOS, the New Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pisthai, Feb 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    If MSFT releases an ISO, the checksums can be verified, with shared self made isos/esds/etcetc...that can't be done (and it can contain all kinds of unwanted surprises), hence not allowed on MDL, it has been the rule for as long as i know on mdl.

2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Yeah I know man but that does not mean that some project's are worth to check out IMHO

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It isn't a project to learn from (from all the info i could find on there), it's just a homebrew modified windows installation medium + changelog.

If it was a project with "how to create it" info there was no rule violation, there was no problem.

Install it at your own risk...

4. EXO56

EXO56 MDL Member

Mar 22, 2013
    "Homebrew" meaning and risks are pefectly known by most MDL members.
    Some users just need this for tests or comparisons while some others install it in VM's and even make it as their main OS if they need to.

Search the forums for "Windows Lite". You'll see members still interested by this kind of stuff despite "risks".
    There are also famous "homebrew" makers who are trusted by hundreds users and their releases regularly installed without suspicion.

Yes Rules changed, but pretending rules here never allowed this is not true!
    "Old" members here for sure remember MDL was THE home of one of the best "homebrew" Windows 7!
    Example of an amputated "homebrew" Windows 7 thread here which was attracting countless people and even greatly promoted MDL forums.
    It's a shame this guy don't this anymore! i was regularly installing his so called "homebrew" releases!

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #25 Enthousiast, Feb 21, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Check the final post by moderator @urie, it's not allowed in public, sharing them by private messages allowed.

Not being disrespectful to @murphy78 his releases, it was so good because it just was dism integrate updates, no other crap put in or left out (except the optional use of diskpart îmage & apply script inside boot.wim and his very first 2015 Privacy release on which he chopped some stuff out by using wim_tweak, or something named like it).

This can be done by any other member himself, following his posts here on MDL, i picked up a lot from them myself.

EDIT: i forgot to mention he integrated MS Dart too.

6. oilernut

oilernut MDL Senior Member

Jul 8, 2007
    With these homebrews there is a good chance that a Windows Update can break it as well.

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Checked the installed ReviOS for Key-Logger and other suspicious apps/services etc., I found nothing! The only 'auto-connecting' connections were going to MS-Servers/MS-IPs, till now! That changed a bit after installing Google Chrome Browser, which isn't a surprise at all!

Interestingly, in ReviOS, MS-Edge isn't available anymore, they're using the good old Internet Explorer! All the known sh*ty things like Telemetry, etc. are seemed to be gone!

Anyway, it's all up to the users to check up on their own this ReviOS is something to use for them or not! All this useless discussion about the 'Homebrew' is only an alibi for those users to try to stir up an outcry, ending in harassment, accusations, and more bad behavior!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Well said...;)

You can call it "harassment", just follow this official forum rule (can't be that hard to understand);

and nobody will "harass" you...

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That mentioned MDL Rules saying a lot of things, just, who is really following them?

The much more serious 'Pirate' Rules, as an example, those which are most broken at all! All that discussion about the use of a None-Legit KMS is nothing less than a criminal breach of the illegal use of Intellectual Property! The discussions on MDL on How To Not Pay For The Use Of Intellectual Properties and Use Them Without a Given License From The Developer, are the most running discussions on MDL! Simply told, any use of a KMS activated version of any OS/APP without the use of a legit KMS Activation Server, which must be licensed by Microsoft, is a criminal offense!
    How much that also applies to such 'other ways' to obtain an (as an example) HWID to get some Intellectual Property licensed with a so-called Digital License, would be another question! From my understanding of Law, that also would be illegal!

That Microsoft didn't act against any breaches (here on MDL), is simply because MS gets a lot of Infos from such Forum (as MDL), which they need for the further development of their products!

Just, the rules of MDL, got breaches minimum hundreds of times any single day, regarding the above mentioned Intellectual Properties, are accepted and never punished!

10. ruuu7

ruuu7 MDL Member

Mar 7, 2015
    So guys. Whats the point here?

"You don't like my homebrew OS? You SUCK!"

Imo just advertisement for a homebrew project, isn't it? Why the arguing? The rule seems clear to me.

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I'm just a simple user, who may fate up with the overloaded of MS OS'es! And I really believe that there a lot of other users of MS Software are just thinking the same!
    Working with a lot of low-powered machines, I always looking for better ways, and simply try to share my experiences with others! What's wrong with that?

12. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    #32 xinso, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  13. zbigniew59

zbigniew59 MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2016
    Why all this discussion? This topic is just a homebrew advertisement, there are hundreds of them on the internet and everyone has a lot of users who praise it.
    But also many criticize them.
    There are forums for this.
    And it's good that no MDL!
    There are many good tools in this forum and anyone can make their own homebrew - whatever they want and are safe.
    And never use what you never know how it works and what it does.

14. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    #34 xinso, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Since 18362.1, the update technology has been changed.

Case 1: Components removed, without modding image structure, the updates are applicable, and hence removed components should be recovered sooner or later by LCUs.
    Case 2: Components removal by re-configured image structure, the updates won't work due to new update technology . Unless you can make customized updates which are applicable to the re-configured structure.

15. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    I mean... It's nice to see someone trying to debloat windows 10 while trying to keep it semi-inline with updates without too much hassle, but I'd personally rather do it myself. There's enough tools on MDL alone, which can do the job, not to mention nice scripts to disable defender / rip out Edge and such. :)

16. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ^
    :clap:

17. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Going to take a quick look at it just for fun.

18. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    MSMG ToolKit and W10UI_9.4 can't open the WIM file.

That's a hard pass for me.

19. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    @nosirrahx why 9.4 tho? 11.x is available.