CloudRecoveryTool

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by mustafa gotr, Sep 29, 2026.

  1. mustafa gotr

    mustafa gotr MDL Senior Member

    Apr 17, 2018
    327
    1,179
    10
    #41 mustafa gotr, Oct 4, 2026
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2026
    (OP)
  2. mustafa gotr

    mustafa gotr MDL Senior Member

    Apr 17, 2018
    327
    1,179
    10
    Thanks for testing the tool and reporting this! A complete system freeze that requires a hard reset is definitely not normal slowness. A PowerShell script alone shouldn't lock up Windows like that, so it usually points to either complete memory/disk exhaustion or a kernel-level driver hang (like the WIM mount driver, Windows Defender, or OneDrive file tracking).

    Right now, the tool is extremely resource-heavy right after mounting. It keeps four images mounted simultaneously (Install, WinRE, BootPE, and BootSetup), runs high-CPU exports on Boot.wim (/Compress:max), opens around 10 concurrent DISM sessions for analysis, and loads multiple registry hives. This creates massive file activity that Defender or OneDrive might try to scan or sync all at once.

    Additionally, because you had to hard reset, stale mount records are likely left behind. On the next run, the tool tries to forcefully clean the Mount folder by taking ownership and modifying permissions (takeown / icacls) on tens of thousands of improperly unmounted files, which can trigger the exact same severe lockup again.

    To help me debug and fix this, could you let me know:

    1. Hardware Specs: How much RAM does the laptop have, and what type of drive is it running (SSD, HDD, or eMMC)?

    2. Execution Path: Which folder were you running the tool from (e.g., Desktop, a OneDrive-synced folder, a USB drive, or the root of C:)?

    3. Security: Are you using any third-party antivirus software, or just standard Windows Defender?

    4. Point of Failure: Do you remember the exact line on the screen right before the freeze? Was it during the "Preparing Boot.wim" stage or the "Post-mount analysis" stage?
     
  3. TeddyBeers

    TeddyBeers MDL Novice

    Jan 18, 2011
    20
    16
    0
    1. Ryzen 7 ai 350, 32gb ram, 7100s 1tb nvme
    2. Drive separate partition on nvme (drive d)
    3. Just defender
    4. It happened long while after wim was mounted and everything appeared to finish. I was browsing either packages or tweaks.
    The second time I unmointed wims through cmd, run the app and it happened in about the same way
     
  4. David Retzloff

    David Retzloff MDL Novice

    Apr 30, 2023
    38
    41
    0
    Any chance to clean up the various buttons to show English rather than Turkish? Most are already fine just a couple items (XML Button for one) still show Turkish when using English.
    Nice work. Really a nice alternative to NTLite as it's really moved a lot of the most useful items to it's paid version. Your efforts are much appreciated.
    The Registry section is a little overwhelming. I'm going to need some time to go through all the settings. Any chance you'll integrate Microsoft Store App Manager to this project or continue developement as a seperate project?
     
  5. mustafa gotr

    mustafa gotr MDL Senior Member

    Apr 17, 2018
    327
    1,179
    10
  6. mustafa gotr

    mustafa gotr MDL Senior Member

    Apr 17, 2018
    327
    1,179
    10
  7. mustafa gotr

    mustafa gotr MDL Senior Member

    Apr 17, 2018
    327
    1,179
    10
    Yes, I'm planning store app player to as well, but not right now. Maybe in a few months.
     
  8. mustafa gotr

    mustafa gotr MDL Senior Member

    Apr 17, 2018
    327
    1,179
    10
    Hey everyone,

    I am the developer behind this Windows image customization tool, and I'd love to get some honest feedback and constructive criticism from the community.

    Currently, the "Offline Tweaks" section includes exactly 679 registry tweaks. For those of you who frequently customize your OS, do you feel this is a sufficient and comprehensive amount? Are there any specific tweaks or categories you feel are missing?

    I'm also very interested in hearing your thoughts on the overall user experience. I added preset profile buttons like "Recommended", "Privacy", and "Gaming / Performance" to speed up the workflow. Do you find the interface intuitive and easy to navigate?

    I'd really appreciate your thoughts, feature requests, or any tips on how I can improve the tool further. Thanks in advance!
     
  9. LTSC-Ten

    LTSC-Ten MDL Member

    Sep 27, 2026
    118
    148
    10
    I should have some feedback shortly.
    I literally just installed a default "normal" en-us_windows_11_enterprise_ltsc_2024_x64_dvd_965cfb00.iso to see how "heavy" it is BEFORE anything was done to optimize.
     
  10. LTSC-Ten

    LTSC-Ten MDL Member

    Sep 27, 2026
    118
    148
    10
    I assume you are referring to CloudRecoveryTool26.zip ?
     
  11. mustafa gotr

    mustafa gotr MDL Senior Member

    Apr 17, 2018
    327
    1,179
    10
    Really looking forward to seeing your results and hearing your feedback!
     
  12. TeddyBeers

    TeddyBeers MDL Novice

    Jan 18, 2011
    20
    16
    0
    @mustafa gotr


    I'm finding (very impressive) tweaks section fairly confusing.
    " Enable to disable", Disable to remove or enable?
    Sometimes selective tweak option refers to tweak name, sometimes to the description.

    e.g.
    "Thumbnail file type icon"
    "Removes the file type icon from the corner of thumbnails."

    Does enabled means icon visible or maybe enabled means tweak enabled meaning icon disabled?


    "App access to calendar"
    "Stops apps from reading your calendar and adding events. The same switch as Settings > Privacy & security > Calendar.",
    "Enabled (Deny)"
    "Disabled (Allow)"

    upload_2026-10-5_13-56-43.png
     
  13. LTSC-Ten

    LTSC-Ten MDL Member

    Sep 27, 2026
    118
    148
    10
    My first comment - where did the list of 683 HP models come from?
    I ask because my two newest HP machines are not listed.
    1) HP Envy 14-FA0013DX -- laptop
    2) HP Intel Core Ultra 7 265 2025 -- desktop
     
  14. LTSC-Ten

    LTSC-Ten MDL Member

    Sep 27, 2026
    118
    148
    10
    The checkbox column width needs to be wider.
    It took me a few seconds to realize these where checkboxes.

    upload_2026-10-5_9-12-12.png
     
  15. LTSC-Ten

    LTSC-Ten MDL Member

    Sep 27, 2026
    118
    148
    10
    re: Image Status -> Stale Mounts -> Clear / Reattach
    It is unclear what "Clear" does and I already feel it was a mistake to click it, but not far enough in to know if I was supposed to click "Clear" or not.
     
  16. LTSC-Ten

    LTSC-Ten MDL Member

    Sep 27, 2026
    118
    148
    10
    Had to remount, so yeah, wasn't supposed to click "Clear" in that Stale Mounts box.
     
  17. LTSC-Ten

    LTSC-Ten MDL Member

    Sep 27, 2026
    118
    148
    10
    The download .iso was right around 9.6 GB and selecting everything possible to remove only brought the final .iso down to 8.3 GB.
    I was hoping for closer to like 1.5 to 2.5 GB for the final .iso.
     
  18. LTSC-Ten

    LTSC-Ten MDL Member

    Sep 27, 2026
    118
    148
    10
    Perhaps I was just overly optimistic.
    But I was also hoping for less than 80 processes, less than 1,250 threads, and less than 30,000 handles.
    And a VM with less than 1 GB RAM for the end result.

    It's a great tool, easy to learn, et cetera. But it won't be for those that want a sleek and efficient OS without all of the background "fluff".

    upload_2026-10-5_11-8-30.png