Comodo Firewall can be used to block Microsoft calling home?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by roga, Aug 29, 2015.

1. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. manix

manix MDL Junior Member

Aug 18, 2012
    The Diagnostic Tracking Service, which is installed on all updated Windows 7 machines, is using svchost.exe

3. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Aah oke you are talking about windows 7 but is that not the right section here :eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Put your tone down please no need for that :busted_red: haha he deleted some

5. manix

manix MDL Junior Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Yeah I did mistake you with the poster form the previous page, I'm sorry.
    As for the diagnostic tracking service, it still exists under Windows 10.
    I want to clarify things, what I'm saying is:
    1. You shouldn't block svchost because it is used by many important services
    2. Svchost is also used by spyware services
    The above 2 points mean that you can't actually stop the telemetry because you need to block svchost, and you can't block svchost since you need your Internet to function.

6. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012

I'll get what so are saying but in windows 10 there are services used for telemetry others then svchost and so what MS will always find ways to keep spying I Guess

7. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Personaly I block the s**t out of every Microsoft service And my machine is still be able to connect to internet and WU :tea:

8. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Please stop using words like idiot or other insults. Thanks. Discussing can be done without cussing.

9. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    I saw that coming !! thanks

10. manix

manix MDL Junior Member

Aug 18, 2012
    You can't stop the spying without blocking essential functions of the OS, that's my point.

11. elzna

elzna MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2013
    you know latest wu patches for windows 10 puts spyware inside old services right? :g:

12. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Thx for the tip I have to re look at my MFC rules then !!

13. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
  14. roga

roga MDL Member

Aug 12, 2015
    There are 2 other threads talking about using Windows Firewall to block the spying, is Windows Firewall capable of blocking parts of svchost at the services level? Is it the only firewall that can block services using svchost, while Comodo can't, is that what you saying?

Do you know if Windows 7 and 8.1 has spying through svchost too? I suspect there is, just no one scrutinized it. Will running Windows 8.1 be better than running Windows 10 with all the anti telemetry tweaks?

15. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    I guess the picture says all but in reality where you must draw the line as it is about privacy ! How far are you letting other people know about your life behind your own home and I must say I draw the line AT MS I want to use windows but hell no they don't have to know everything what I am doing. So for now and the future I will do everything in my power to block unwanting peeking in my garden :D starting with an external firewall offcourse :tea:

Ps maybe running multiple firewalls or I'm I now acting paranoid :biggrin:

16. roga

roga MDL Member

Aug 12, 2015
    But if what was said in this thread is true, your external firewall cannot stop it. MS use an unblockable application (svchost) to sneak spying through unblockable ports needed for your internet to run!

17. Vico

Vico MDL Junior Member

Jan 4, 2008
    hmm....so what people are saying here is there isn't really a viable solution?
    Win 7 /8 has those spying updates (and probably more to come)....

18. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That would only be possibloe if an external Firewall is used, running on it's own OS on it's own machine! Or while use an Cisco, Netscreen or whatsoever Hardware Firewall!

Any Firewall running on Windows OS, could not block everything (to 100%), just something! Period!

19. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Oke but even an Hardware firewall could not block every thing !! I use hardware firewall for my server but must open some ports just to get it running like port 80 for webservices