Compaq Mini 735ED - Extract BIOS rom from 361A0F16.exe

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by slazh, May 3, 2013.

1. slazh

slazh MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2012
    Hi,

I hope I'm in the right section of the forums for this one; if not, please let me know!

I've tried to flash a SLIC 2.1 enabled BIOS on my Compaq Mini 735ED which I found on the forums here. I forgot to reset the BIOS to the default settings (clearing CMOS) and applied the new BIOS. After rebooting, the Mini complains about the CMOS Checksum Error and enters a reboot loop.

I've already tried the following things, all with no success:
    - Clear CMOS by pulling the battery on the motherboard, as described in the service manual
    - Use AMI BIOS restore procedure (CTRL + Home / PageUp) with a USB drive and the custom BIOS renamed to AMIBOOT.ROM. It tells me the flasing went O.K. but never reboots; after pulling the power and battery, rebooting the machine, the same CMOS Checksum Error is displayed
    - Extracting the BIOS ROM from the sp48673.exe (which is in fact just 361A0F16.exe and a UCORESYS.sys file). So i've tried extracing the BIOS from the 361A0F16.exe but neither WinRAR, 7zip, Universal Extractor or any other tool I tried will give me the actuall BIOS.

So, this is where I'm asking for help; how can I get to the actual BIOS which is supposedly hidden inside 361A0F16.exe? I've tried the usual %TEMP% / %APPDATA% tricks to see if it's placed there (even used Process Monitor to figure out 361A0F16.exe puts it somewhere else) but so far nothing.

I've found the following chatlog on pastie which talks about a debugger (and lh5 compression) to get to the ROM but I can't make heads or tails from this. So again, anybody care to help me out on this?