Complete Upgrade from Windows 8.1 Preview to Windows 8.1 RTM - without loosing files

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by HellBoyX2, Aug 31, 2013.

1. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    got it.its the little things you learn along the way.thanks.also thought maybe that was why some people were having a problem with getting it to work as they were using the wrong file so thought id mention it.

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Yeah...a lot of people still donĀ“t know this feature and the mystery of invisible (hidden) system files :cool2:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Now if only preserved the activation status (Preview ->RTM); that would save tons of aggro.

4. jsnepo

jsnepo MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2013
    To rule out the part of having an untouched ISO, I did another download and ran the utilty you mentioned. I still do not have the complete upgrade option. Are you guys sure you did an upgrade from 8.1 Preview with WMC?

5. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Oh wait... when you said you made sure the language was English, does that mean that your OS wasn't originally English, but that you had converted to English via a language pack? My tests were with with an English OS (not language pack) and English (not language pack) disc.

6. jsnepo

jsnepo MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2013
    The original language is English but not US thus I set it to English (US).

7. jsnepo

jsnepo MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2013
    Another thing I did was set the locale of 8.1 Preview to English (US). Every setting is now set to it. Tried the upgrade and still does not work. This is getting ridiculous. Nothing seems to work on my end.

8. cman

cman MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    Same here!! I tried everything.. wonder if it is related to having preview in spanish in the beginning.. but now i set language to English (US) and no way. I hope there is a solution, I don't know want to think of having to install everything again.. :pray:

9. cman

cman MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    Ok! so I downloaded Spanish version from here, used the removal utility like before and it worked!! it seems that if you have a diferent preview than the one from US you need to also use the RTM of your country :S
    Anyway, thanks for this thread :)

10. jsnepo

jsnepo MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2013
    Lucky you. Mine still does not work. I doubt I have other languages set when I installed 8.1 Preview.

11. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Does it also preserve activation status? (I have a key for the 8.1 Preview, but not 8.0 RTM or 8.1 RTM.) If so, this could be a monster aggro-saver.

12. Enigma256

Jan 17, 2011
    What was the original language of your W8? Not what you "set" it to, but the original base language. That, I suspect, is what needs to match.

Personally, I think language packs should only be used if a user needs two different languages at the same time. Otherwise, using language packs to change or "set" a language could be problematic in the long run.

You must enter a valid key when you pop the disc in.

13. jsnepo

jsnepo MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2013
    It was always set to English. I just set it to en-us to match the installer.

14. Enigma256

Jan 17, 2011
    Typically, "set" (esp. "just set") connotes a change...

15. jsnepo

jsnepo MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2013
    Obviously it connotes a change but what I mean is it was always set to english unless there are installations beside en-us that I don't know about. It can be en-uk, etc if there are any.

16. csecker

csecker MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2013
    Has anybody worked this out yet still can't get all 3 options in the setup and I want too keep my setting and program files been trying for days now with no luck still?????

17. csecker

csecker MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2013
    Has ANYBODY got any ideas why I can't get the option too Keep Windows settings personal files and apps think I've tried everything now but still no option. Could anybody please reply...

18. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Not working here either, tried removing cversion.ini and tried editing the build numbers, still doesn't ask if I want to keep everything

19. csecker

csecker MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2013
    Please let me know if u do get it working and what u did too get it too work...

20. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    #40 MrMagic, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    UPDATE: Found what the problem was - I am running en-GB Windows 8 and was trying to upgrade using en-US

Downloaded the en-GB Windows 8.1 and removed the cversion.ini and I now have the option to keep everything :D

Today is upgrade day :D