Complete Upgrade from Windows 8.1 Preview to Windows 8.1 RTM - without loosing files

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by HellBoyX2, Aug 31, 2013.

1. csecker

csecker MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2013
    That's what mine is windows 8 en-GB MrMagic where did u get the windows 8.1 en-GB from, I haven't seen the GB download anywhere yet?????

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    In the main thread with language packs

Im on my tablet while 8.1 installs so can't copy links very easily

3. csecker

csecker MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2013
    Do u have the files name as not sure what Im looking for please MrMagic...

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Just look down the list of ISOs for the EN-GB one, I think its in the official 8.1 Repository thread, but like I say I am unable to search atm as not on the PC

5. csecker

csecker MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2013
    Found it THANK U PaulDesmond for the link, Im downloading it now will let u all know how I get on once its finished downloading, Fingers Crossed...

6. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Back in Windows 8.1 now, update success :D

7. csecker

csecker MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2013
    Nice one hope all go's well for me too been trying this for day's now was just about too give up till I see ur post, Will let u know if I manage too get all three options in the install...

8. csecker

csecker MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2013
    Your the MAN MrMagic I now have all three options I can't believe it, Can't thank u enough it's been stressing me for days now u are the MAN... Thanks Again:biggrin::biggrin::):)

9. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    :D No problem, I was fairly happy too lol

10. woffko

woffko MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2008
    Ok, what about windows 7 upgrade to 8.1, with files and settings? The option keep files settings is missing.
    "You can't jump over windows versions" That is the answer is given in some articles/forums. But this is not true. 8.1 is not "over", this is subversion. And with 8.0 you can even upgrade your vista partially saving your settings. SO it was very stupid disabling win7 upgrade to 8.1 directly, IMHO. And I can't see simple way to enable it. Even transfer files and settings wizard does not restore settings under 8.1.
    I can't understand, Microsoft, why??? Good bye, Balmer! :)

11. woffko

woffko MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2008
    #52 woffko, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    Not trivial Solution

I've tried myself to upgrade win7, It did partial upgrade without moving my applications. But at least it might work completely in-between WIN8 builds.

See attach.

UPDATE: Ок it works for the windows 7 too, I just messed up with wrong selection in ShowHideControls.
    Looks like you really can upgrade or downgrade any version to any, even different language too.

Attached Files:

12. desolateone

desolateone MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2010
    I'm having so much trouble with this. I can get it to upgrade, but the only selection I'm ever given is to keep nothing, and that's something I would really rather not do..
    After reading through this thread, I think my problem is that when I installed the 8.1 preview from the English US iso, I chose Canadian English (EN-CA), not American (EN-US).
    Is there a way of changing the EN-US iso to Canadian? Or do I need to wait for a Canadian iso to get leaked? :confused:

13. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Did you remove the cversion.ini from /sources folder ?

Try changing the language of your Preview install back to en-US from control panel, otherwise I would imagine you're going to have to tell it to just keep data and files

14. desolateone

desolateone MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2010
    Yes it's been removed, before I did that I couldn't even get this far. It'd tell me I can't upgrade this version of Windows.
    Unfortunately I would even be okay with that.. but I don't have that option either. :(
    Here, have a look. Screenshot (37).png

15. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    That's a new one, to ask the obvious, it is x64 to x64 you're trying to do and not x64 to x86 ?

And it's Pro to Pro, not Enterprise to Pro or similar ?

I went from 8 to 8.1, skipping the preview, so only had the language to match

16. desolateone

desolateone MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2010
    Yes, I'm going x64 to x64, and no it's Core to Core. So right now I have Windows 8.1 Preview, not Windows 8.1 Pro Preview. I have an upgrade key I got from my school to get Pro, but I can't upgrade in the preview. I was planning on doing it when I got the RTM installed.
    Actually here's something (I don't know if this is relevant) but if I try to go from Core to Pro using the key from the pastebin page, I get greeted with this instead.
    Screenshot (38).png

17. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    #58 MrMagic, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    EDIT - Ignore me, Im getting Core and Single language mixed up (It's 2am)

Hmm, lol weird, I guess you could try a system restore back to as close to installing the Preview as possible incase something has messed up since the install

Or try a 'Refresh' of the preview from Metro settings, that way you get to keep your data, albeit lose your installed apps

18. desolateone

desolateone MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2010
    No no, Core is the basic install. I installed the 8.1 preview fresh, and it's just the basic install. If it were pro, I think it would be called 'Windows 8.1 Pro Preview' in the system pane (the one you open with win+break)

No worries, we've all been there. :) But a refresh you say? Ah I was trying to avoid that. When you say lose my installed apps, do you mean the metro apps? or all my programs?

19. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Yea unfortunately all of your non Metro programs will be removed, it only keeps files such as docs, music, downloads etc

Unless anyone else can chip in on how to force the upgrade, im about out of ideas

Did you try just editing cversion.ini instead of removing it completely?

Hope you get a break, im going to my pit for some much needed shut eye