Complete Upgrade from Windows 8.1 Preview to Windows 8.1 RTM - without loosing files

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by HellBoyX2, Aug 31, 2013.

1. desolateone

desolateone MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2010
    argh, I think I'll just wait for a bit until the dust settles. Maybe someone will come to my rescue, but for now I guess the preview will make due.
    I did try deleting the cversion.ini, but to no avail.
    Thanks for trying to help anyways man, enjoy your rest!

2. jsnepo

jsnepo MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2013
    This works on my end too. Cheers to you pal.

3. woffko

woffko MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2008
    Ok peoples, nobody reads attached links to my post. There is no problem to upgrade or downgrade between any version of windows 8 and 7, except x86-x64 messing. You just need software tool like showhidecontrols.exe or similar for example Inqsoft windows scanner, that can show hidden windows, menu etc. You just start setup until installation type selection appears and then start showhidecontrols_en.exe, select the right window and select the right line where is keep files, apps and settings appears, then push "Click" button and continue setup by pressing "next" button. If you have done it right way you will see it on next setup screen, when you must confirm your selection. That's all!

Attached Files:

4. ultimate_live

ultimate_live MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2011
    I used the tool to remove 'cversion.ini'. Than I burned the ISO to my pendrive. I started my windows 8.1 preview, ran windows 8.1 RTM trying to update, but I still get only two options but not the option to save files, applications and programs. I got only the option to save my personal files or nothing.
    Or do I need to start from my pendrive and than choose update ?

5. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    The utility deletes the cversion.ini file by changing the ISO's UDF file table. When you extract that ISO to a USB flash drive, the program that does the copying might not honor the UDF deletion bit. This is a problem exhibited by both 7-Zip and Microsoft's own ISO-to-USB tool. So you'll have to delete the file manually after the ISO has been transferred to the USB flash drive. (In other words, don't use the cversion.ini removal utility if you're using a USB flash drive, first because USB isn't UDF and second because it's already trivially easy to just delete the file from a USB flash drive--the tool existed only because deleting a file from an ISO image is much harder.)

6. desolateone

desolateone MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2010
    #66 desolateone, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
    You have saved my skin! It looks like things are good to go now. Will report back and confirm if all is well :D
    Screenshot (40).png

EDIT: Well, it does work. Although upgrading to 8.1 broke my user folder config (Windows and Programs on SSD, User folder on HDD)... Now I need to reinstall anyways.

7. woffko

woffko MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2008
    I don't think reinstall is really needed to restore your user folder config. There should be much more easier way to do it

8. mydigitaldesktop

mydigitaldesktop MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2013

This utility might be an "undiscovered gem" which permits some interesting experiments in upgrading various versions!

woffko's original post on the subject has a link to a Russian website with some screen shots of the utility in action along with a download for the source code in Delphi.

woffko's google link:

google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fhabrahabr.ru%2Fpost%2F192986%2F

9. mydigitaldesktop

mydigitaldesktop MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2013
    This works for the consumer preview before 8.0 RTM!

Using the OP and woffko's addition, I can now confirm that most programs and settings have been updated from the "Consumer Preview" version before the original 8.0 RTM release to Windows Pro 8.1

I just happened to have a laptop that I haven't touched in a long time with a lot of programs installed on that version that made for a perfect test of this. I expect I will have to help the process by doing some manual uninstalls and updates but nevertheless it is a very impressive accomplishment by Microsoft even if they don't want to demonstrate it!

10. Al_Jourgensen

Al_Jourgensen MDL Junior Member

Sep 17, 2013
    hello community

i´m new here, and i want to learn, if someone can answer some basic questions

what is ADK tools for

what is RTM version

and does this method activate Windows?

thank you in advance

11. NiHiLisT

NiHiLisT MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Sweet, thanks OP thanks Enigma. Worked like a charm.

Edit: Where would I be without MDL :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    #72 murphy78, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  13. Al_Jourgensen

Sep 17, 2013
    Anyone? Please

14. Pushkar112

Pushkar112 MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2010
    This trick was found out by vishal gupta @ askvg.com

15. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Google is your teacher... This is a technical forum...you just gonna irritate ppl by asking basic stuff without doing some research yourself...:jumpon:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Google? what is it? Is this the toy where I can look down into my garden? :D

17. Al_Jourgensen

Sep 17, 2013
    sorry for not being so expert....i try, at least, to know more then the basics, asking the wright people

Thank you Community

18. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    #78 PaulDesmond, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
    This is totally ok but sometimes it seems that members are simply lazy and wait until other guys come and cook the tea. Why not search first and later ask the question?

all members here doing this for free so you cannot claim any help due to laziness

19. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    If you get stuck, then by all means ask away :hug2:

@PD
    LOL..Seems Google should do a bit more marketing...?

20. woffko

woffko MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2008
    There are some problems when you upgrade from unsupported versions to 8.1 and even from supported. For example there are no compatibility checks so you can get some BSOD right after you try to update, but windows recovers itself without problem. I can report that Kaspersky antivirus is not compatible with 8.1 and causes BSOD, even if you upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1 and compatibility check is done. Some more programs are also not compatible with new IE, so be ready something not working.