Complete Upgrade from Windows 8.1 Preview to Windows 8.1 RTM - without loosing files

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by HellBoyX2, Aug 31, 2013.

1. mydigitaldesktop

mydigitaldesktop MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2013

Your post on upgrading just about any version of Windows to 8.1 really made my day!

I could have just done a clean install in my old consumer preview pre-8.0 RTM version, but it was such an amazing thing to see this upgrade actually work that it was pure entertainment!

As you said, it doesn't really check the apps but all of the drivers were properly updated. There is a huge sense that somebody at Microsoft completely re-wrote their upgrade code...

2. petersaints

petersaints MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2008
    But how do I know which language was the system iniatially installed in? My install is a Windows 8 Core OEM install from Samsung, upgraded to Pro with a DreamSpark for Academic Institutions keys. I have no idea what base language did they use.

3. DOOOMKULTUS

DOOOMKULTUS MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2012
    How will this method work with the Store Upgrade method?

Meaning, Win 8.1 Preview upgrade to Win 8.1 Final, through the Windows Store that will happen when its released in a day time now.

Will Windows Store download entire ISO or just the update files and if it does download the complete ISO files will there be this cvversion.ini file and is it even possible to do a complete upgrade through this method without losing file/settings.

4. mydigitaldesktop

mydigitaldesktop MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Someone will probably try that in a few days nd hopefully report back.

But I don't see the point really. Just download the ISO and you can be up and running. Either way you need to download something...

5. silverdoe

silverdoe MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2013
    The Store update will keep Win 8.1 activated, but u've to manually re-activate with this method. My problem is that my WMC key I have is from the promotion when it was still free last year. Now it expired, so everytime when re-activate, I need to call MS Support to acitvate via phone, very cumbersome ...

6. MissKaizen

MissKaizen MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2013
    Hello everyone,
    I just wanted to ask if anyone has attempted to do this from a VHD and succeeded? If so, was as it only possible through a similar guideline of some sort or did it work fine from the one listed on the first page even though it was written back in September 2013 when the final RTM version for Windows 8.1 Pro Preview wasn't officially released by Microsoft yet?

7. Kabiyuj

Kabiyuj MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2014
    #87 Kabiyuj, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    Folks, I'm trying to upgrade from 8.1 Preview to RTM without losing applications too.

I've tested the procedure, but got only two options (keep only data, or keep nothing). After reading the whole thread, I thought it was related to the language of my 8.1 Preview so I tried to check it, and then realized I got the Enterprise version... I was trying to upgrade to 8.1 Pro RTM because my Windows 8 product key is for Pro. I guess my only hope to upgrade to RTM is to use the 8.1 Enterprise version, right?

With my Win 8 Pro key, I don't know if I'll be able to activate, or to revert to Pro without losing applications then... Any idea? For the time being, I'd just like to prevent the automatic reboots every 2 hours because of expired 8.1 Preview. I use this machine to work and this is a busy-busy month, I can't afford losing my work as I did this morning when it rebooted without any warning just before (only 2 hours before), nor can I afford resinstalling all apps. Just not now, please Microsoft.

P.S.
    By the way, I've downloaded Win 8.1 Enterprise RTM French to try out the upgrade, but the cversion removal utility won't work on it (it did on the 8.1 Pro RTM iso file). It says that I should check that nothing is using the file at the moment, but nothing is, since I just cut/pasted it elsewhere and the problem persisted. If I paste the content of the iso on a USB stick, and then delete cversion.ini, I do have the option to upgrade while keeping apps. I'm going to do it, but now I'm worried I'll never be able to activate that Enterprise version... At least it'll give me a little time to finish the months without having to format.

8. woffko

woffko MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2008
    You just need to read this thread more deeply, before asking your question.