Completely uninstall Windows Defender from Win10 Pro, is that possible?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by yro, Jul 23, 2016.

1. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    #21 hb860, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    I am fighting with those quotes since first days with wordpress.
    Why it adds them to PRE - idk.
    That's why I am trying to provide ready to use REG files in articles.
    Fixed quotes everywhere.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Obviously this is the way that any sane user is following.

3. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #23 T-S, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  4. yro

yro MDL Addicted

Jul 26, 2009
    ok. problem solved.

thanks for the tips.

turns out that messing with windows defender will cause problems on windows behaviours.. the thing is: "DO NOT MESS WITH IT". The best way to go, in my point of view today, is to disable wd process, install another security software and thats all.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Ok. 48 hrs ago you had no idea about the matter, and now you started to teach about it?:g:

Usually one suggest a solution over the other after decent period of test and after a decent number of tested machines, which is clearly something you didn't.

6. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Assuming the role of the “devil’s advocate”, without implying anything unsaintly about the persons concerned, I express the opinion that deciding that something is risky does not need proof, lack of convincing proof to the contrary suffices. It’s a matter of being prudent - “if in doubt don’t” - and as a minimum, one will sleep without worrying. On the other hand, declaring something as safe not only needs strong arguments, but also long practical testing, as problems can arise much later. Another way of putting it, certain prevention is better than possible need for cure.

Thus, there’s no risk in installing a better AV, in which case WD will turn itself off and not bother anybody, it will just be immediately available to take over, if something should happen to the other AV.

Clarification: I’m merely raising a philosophical point and not siding with those claiming there will result instability.

7. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Exactly.

If there is any doubt that Defender can be harmful even if disabled (and there is) is better to remove it altogether. Especially given is possible to do so with the OS tools, although not exposed on the GUI on desktop versions.

The risk of mess because two concurrent AV is always high, and btw many people want just to remove the defender crap, and don't want to replace it with a real antivirus.

8. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    If you’re interpreting
    “if in doubt don’t”
    as meaning not to leave things as they are but to take action in changing them, then you’re obviously misinterpreting, against the rules of semantics and practical use of the term.

But I don’t want to enter a discussion, as my statements may be likely misinterpreted.

9. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

I did it purposely, just to show you that your sentence changes completely its meaning depending on the POV.;)

10. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
  11. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    check my topic in signature guide...
    powershell script remove it also

12. yro

yro MDL Addicted

Jul 26, 2009
    the thing is: im in a forum so I can speak for myself and talk what pleases me, as I did about wd. The other thing is that windows defender is part of windows 10 as stated by microsoft, so I figured that "removing something that is part of the "big something" can not be a good idea... if im wrong, prove it, please? Explain how this state is wrong and how we can remove windows defender from windos 10 without messing with the os.. please, do this..

13. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

There are zillions of people who removed the spyware and are absolutely happy. Defender is just a supposed AV additional component that was forcefully bundled with windows.

Removing it is less harmful than removing the notepad, in the latter case you need an alternate text editor, in the former you can live w/o any AV. Providing you use a decent browser (no IE, edge, chrome...)

14. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    I agree with everything except the decent browser part. Are you saying Chrome is NOT a decent one?

15. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    I guess it's decent if you like it reporting home about as much as Windows 10 :p (partially joking)

My main annoying with Chrome though is that triple-clicking lines of text leaves a trailing whitespace at the end of the line. Copy and pasting commands like this basically causes the command to be instantly ran. No idea who thought this was a good idea with Chrome.... Firefox doesn't do this.

16. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #36 T-S, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016

Chrome is a very basic browser, but it's a spyware, way more dangerous than W10 itself

Install at least Chromium which is cleaner.

But is better if you go with something useful like Vivaldi or even Opera, Iron, whatever.

For the record the Vivaldi team spent more than 1.5 years to cleanup vivaldi from the ties with the google services, although they started from the cleaner Chromium base.

Discussing about how to clean W10 from the spyware (or even moving to W7 or Linux) and then going to use Chrome is just like avoiding the Syphilis, and getting the AIDS, purposely.;)

17. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Yeah any software has bugs, upsides and downsides, etc. But I'm asking from a security point of view, in this case.

18. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    From a privacy pov maybe you are fully right. But from a security perspective Chrome is quite robust.
    - Sandboxing
    - Appcontainer (low integrity level)

:cool:

19. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Matter of definitions. Frankly nowadays I'm way more concerned about the big brothers rather than the random hacker(s).

I haven't got a threat on my PC in 30 years, but I can't say the same about google or ms. Although the precautions they are still too pervasive and powerfull to be keept 100% out of the door.

20. ColdZero

ColdZero MDL Android 17

Nov 9, 2009
    To disable Windows Defender on Windows 10 PRO edition:
    1) Press "Windows Key"+R (run dialog)
    2) type: gpedit.msc
    3) Administrative template --> Windows Components --> Windows Defender
    4) Double click "Turn off Windows Defender"
    5) Tick "Enabled" then click "OK"
    Done!