Computer cannot find the hard drives

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by numinbah, Jun 13, 2012.

1. numinbah

numinbah MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2012
    I don't really know where to post this call for help, but I know that if and when I get the computer in question working
    it will be loaded with windows XP Pro...

I have been given a Dell comp that my friend used in his shop. I think it was a server because it has a logo on the front
    which says PC12 Server it also had 2 hard drives in a raid configuration...

His problem was as is mine when turning on all that happens is the bios screen starts up. Because what was previously
    on the machine was not needed I decided to format the two installed drives and reinstall a copy of Windows XP Pro a legal copy I might add, after making some alterations to the bios to enable boot from CD.

The computer then loads the required files but after that it says it cannot find any hard drives, and then reverts back to
    the bios screen

That's my problem..... I have checked the wiring of the hard drives and they seem OK if any one has any ideas I would be obliged

2. abbs2002

abbs2002 MDL Junior Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Did you set bios setting to default? Check the jumper on the hard drives set them to master/ slave or cable select, see if that helps.

3. user_hidden

user_hidden MDL Expert

Dec 18, 2007
    perhaps your drives are SATA which Windows XP Sp3 CD does not support out of the box.
    you probably have to integrate the SATA drivers in order for XP setup to run and recognize your drives.