Computer keeps turning on and off, won't boot sometimes.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by john808, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Bad_Pool_Header is an aging/faulty hardware issue. I have come across it many times. The most obvious one is the RAM malfunctioning, which would have to be replaced. At times when working memories are replaced you might still face the same problem only to find out it is coming from the hard disk. What I usually do to solve the problem is as follows:

1. I replace the memory first because I have found out that often times I can clean install and face the same problem.

2. If that didn't work I replace the hard disk.

3. Dust and apply fresh thermal paste(when I am sure the cooling fan vents are clogged or the processor old thermal paste is completely dried up)

4. Do clean install of the operating system.

These four steps have always worked for me flawlessly.

2. john808

john808 MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2019
    update: the power supply and one of my memory cards were dead. replaced the power supply and removed the defective RAM card and pc is working just fine. I'm surprised that my PC didn't slow down at all after removing 8 GB of RAM.

3. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    8gb is still ok by todays standard for average users who aren't heavy gamers, even 4gb is fine for a htpc or pc just for light games, you might run short of memory in some poorly coded AAA console ports but it'll probably use the page file, make sure that's on a ssd.

i've seen battlefront 2017 use 2gb+ and other game 4-5gb but can't remember which one.

4. Dresan

Dresan MDL Junior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Mine did that once and with a new CMOS battery got fixed.

5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...