Computer question re routers/modems

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Jawood, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Jawood

Jawood MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2008
    My father is gravely ill and I have to return to my hometown in Canada for an extended time. I arrived here last night and I don't know how long I will be staying.

My father lives with my older brother and we have never got on. I do not trust my brother and he has often maniputaled our father and caused problems for me.

I will need to set up my laptop to connect to the internet, but I am forced to use my brothers internet connection. He is very smart with computers and knows the ins and outs, I am terrible with computers. My brother has told me to set up my own router.

I need to protect the information I send in emails (some are confidential and work related and others are between friends and my wife, also I need to take care of some banking arrangements obviously I don't want my brother getting this information).

Strangely, my brother has given me his ISP user name and password but he will not give me his wireless password to log on to his router/modem. (His router/modem is one unit supplied by his ISP company.

My question, if I set up my own router I still to connect to my brothers modem/router (his modem and router is one unit and is supplied by Bell Canada), I don't know the settings of his modem/router. How do I set up my router so he cannot get any of my information?

Thnaks in advance.