Computer shuts down

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by DayDreamz, Dec 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DayDreamz

DayDreamz MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2012
    #1 DayDreamz, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    Computer shuts down randomly, no bsod. At cold start computer wont start at least the first time.
    Second motherboard, same issue.
    Second powersupply same issue.
    System : Asus prime b350-plus mb (latest bios, have tested different ones), ryzen 5 1600, ballistix sport it 16gb ram, samsung pm961 nvme. os win 10
    Tested with multiple graphicscards.
    So far only cpu or ram could be the issue, but wich one.
    No heating issue, no dirt, all new parts.
    No overclocking, all stock speeds.
    Tried running ram at way lover speeds, same issue.

Anyone else experienced this issue ?

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Which PSU ?

3. DayDreamz

DayDreamz MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2012
    #3 DayDreamz, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    (OP)
    corsair tx750m and corsair cx750 and ms-tech ms-n750-val.

so not a powersupply issue

been running memtest for a while, with no errors.
    So far i would say it's either the cpu, or a ram incompatability. But since i can't afford to change both, i need to find out wich one is causing the issue.

4. DayDreamz

DayDreamz MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2012
    Not the same problem, and motherboard have already been swapped once, still the same error, wich leads me to think that something must be wrong with either cpu or ram, since i've tested everything else.
    Is about to go out and test with my dad's cpu and ram, since he have the same exact motherboard.with no errors on his system what so ever. Also gonna use my cpu and ram in his system, to determan if any of my parts are faulty. If my parts work in his system, then i yet again got a faulty motherboard. Don't know what else to do at this point, have tried everything for the last 17 days. Sometimes system goes down as in if power was removed after 2 mins, sometimes after 6 hours. Not easy to find problems when they are periodiac

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Have you tried running it in safe mode to see if it has the shut down issue?
    Could be some kind of strange grounding problem, Try pulling the board out of the case, set it on a non-conductive surface (cardboard) connect a power supply, one stick of memory and only your o.s. drive, run it like that and see if it shuts down

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    U say the mobo been swap out before is it new or use or refurbish it could still be a bad mobo.

7. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    I agree it could be a short some were.

8. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    did u run memtest?
    tis probably cpu

mem is crashing mostly

9. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
    Guess you should update you´re samsung pm961 nvme firmware.
    It might be the cause of the problem you describe.

10. DayDreamz

DayDreamz MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2012
    You hit the hammer on the nail. Somehow either the backplate or one of the fastening screws shortend the board.
    After extencive testing of my hardware in another pc with the same motherboard, everything checked out ok.
    When i took my motherboard out of the cabinet, and placed it on the box for the motherboard, everything worked.
    I've taken off the backplate and fastened the motherboard with non conducting washers in between. Everything works.
    Thank you very much for the idea, since i had starred myself blank on the issue.
    And thank you all for your suggestions :)

11. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Recheck if your heat sink and processor are both seated properly.

P.S: I am glad you find solution to the problem already.