computer upgrade

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by pm67310, Jul 31, 2020.

1. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    Good morning all

For the little story :

in 2016 I decided to assemble a PC

with 64gb of ram in ddr4, 128gb of ssd, and 2tb of hard disk

an i7 6700 at 4ghz

and a few months later (3 months) I add a rx580 8gb of vram

the years go by and today i just changed to an amd ryzen 9 3900x and a 550 chipset motherboard to support the new pcie 4.0, so already gone from 8 cores to 24 cores it's impressive

suddenly in a few months I will put a nvme (at 64gb per second)

for the system I have windows 10 Ltsc (ltsb - without the metro applications)

I think the best is to wait until 2021 for the graphics part? that thought you

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Davidgamerthumbs

Davidgamerthumbs MDL Junior Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Nice system. Get the NAVI2 that is suppose to be released next month. I would go NVIDIA but 30 series are hard to find.

3. Tuoni_NL

Tuoni_NL MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2020
    Probably best to wait a bit.
    Nvidia 30xx cards are very rare which drives up the price to insane levels if you do manage to find a card... totally not worth it imho.
    RDNA2 cars should have a "better" availability then the Nvidia cards but I suspect still a short supply.

HDD => SSD is massive performance improvement.
    SSD => NVME is an performance improvement but not as noticeable as HDD => SSD in the average day to day consumer tasks.

Throw in an NVME drive if you have to budget for it.. I would skip it if the money for the NVME drive comes out the budget for let's say better GPU.

4. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    I'm doing upgrades for a few friends and a new build for myself.

Personally, I am waiting until ~January. I want to see the dust settle and production to catch up to demand.

Right now choices are not great due to demand and the prices are inflated.

Let AMD and Nvidia have a GFX card war and then the new Ryzen CPUs catch up to demand.

Just my opinion.

5. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ^
    yep here in my country is same thing prices in stars I also forget to change my rig ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    If something cheaper is available somewhere, then it's before Christmas. In general, all things have really become much more expensive, and if something else is available somewhere cheaply, it's time to hurry. Now nothing will go cheaper.
    In general, I discovered that a strange thing has happened in the world - if in the past all things were always at least 2 times more expensive on the UK web, then now it is just the cheapest to order through UK sites. Probably the effect of BRexit ....

7. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Prices are high for current tech because demand is massively outpacing supply and scalpers are charging a fortune (and getting it).

Its going to be a few months before multiple vendors have stock available and this will bring prices down.