"Configure Automatic Updates" policy/registry: does it work in Pro, Home?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by nicolast, Apr 26, 2020.

1. nicolast

nicolast MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2020
    #1 nicolast, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    Hi,

My PC runs windows 10 home, but I’d like to prevent updates from installing automatically.

I can legally upgrade it to the pro version, but I’m wondering if it’s worthwhile.

I’ve read in this forum that disabling this policy: “Configure Automatic Updates” in (Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update), no longer works in Windows Pro.
    What about the 2nd option “Notify for download and auto install”, does it still work in Pro?

Can I achieve the same thing in Home with the following change in the registry? [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU] "AUOptions"=dword:00000002

It’s ok to be warned about new updates. I intend to update every 3 months only, so pausing or deferring updates is not an option for me.

Will this policy let me choose to install quality / cumulative updates when I like?

Thanks.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    @nicolast
    • If You can upgrade to Pro, then of course it is worth to upgrade - why You need have hidden options if they can be made visible and usable?
    • there is absolutely legal methods to disable updates using control panel/setting and You don't need any kind of scripts or home-craft work products
    • why You want to update in every three months if official is in every 6 month and most likely soon only once in year.
    • If there are some cumulative updates in every month, usually once in month, sometimes twice, then these are for repairing some problems and these are very smart to install.
    • Personally I have always installed all updates and have never had any problems. (I have more than one computer, not only one and all they are different, even very different, but any of them have never had any problem with updates).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nicolast

nicolast MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2020
    Thanks for your reply.
    • Can you give me details how to disable "updates using control panel/setting" in windows 10 v1909?
    • I intend to install cumulative/quality/security updates every 3 months only.

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. nicolast

nicolast MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2020
    Yes, same options. I think you mean settting ethernet or wi-fi as metered connections
    Thanks

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    @nicolast
    There are several options, in fact you can use them all, but in fact you probably still need to use the lowest one with "Select date" ...
    There you can now suspend updates for up to 35 days (previously it was a year), but this date can be extended even further, for example by changing the date in the registry.

7. nicolast

nicolast MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2020
    Ok.
    Are you sure changing the date in the registry works?

8. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Honestly, I haven't tested for two years, but I checked - all the settings are the same. Even this old way to suspend updates for up to 365 days is actually still there, but originally it is now hidden. But as I said. in reality, it exists and works.
    So I can't answer your question with 100% confidence, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. All settings seems to be the same like then, when I tested them.

9. erpsterm35

erpsterm35 MDL Expert

May 27, 2013
    well it worked with the rtm/1507 & 1511 releases of Win10. don't know about 1607 & beyond as newer feature updates can change things around or break things

edit - doesn't seem to work with recent versions for win10 home/pro like 1903 & later