Confused. Please advice:

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by shashikumar bhat, Aug 10, 2015.

1. shashikumar bhat

shashikumar bhat MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2011
    I have 8.1 pro vl running on my pc so nicely that I am offered free upgrade.Going through the forum, I understand it is quite safe to upgrade, and I have to skip when asked for key. I don't have a key.

My confusion is, if something happens during or after upgrade, can I just format and reinstall 8.1 with autokms? or will I be flagged down because my hardware details are in the server? Also how do I go about activating the free upgrade?

If everything goes smoothly, later on can I clean install Enterpise edition from Paul's X files? I have MTK 2.5.3 and 2.6 Beta. Or should I be happy with whatever I get as upgrade?

Thank You.

2. Lucas Rey

Lucas Rey MDL Member

Feb 16, 2010
    If somethings goes wrong, you can still rollback to Windows 8.1 using the recovery option. However, if you doesn't care about your applications in 8.1, why you don't install Windows10 from scratch? Then, if your 8.1 is already activated, OS will stay activated also after upgrade and during upgrade, Windows will not ask for key.

3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Confusion galore: There is either the FREE OFFER (better go from OEM Win 7 with Loader) or there's still is KMS. Do not confuse them, they have nothing in common.

Although heldi is still promoting it (sadly); UPGRADE FROM KMS ACTIVATED VERSION TO WIN 10 VIA FREE OFFER IS NOT THE OFFICIAL MDL RECOMMENDATION AND WILL TAG YOUR SYSTEM WITH A NICE 'PIRATED' COMMENT!!!

But as you like; move on :cool2:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    #4 johnye_pt, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    If your BIOS has SLIC 2.1, you could do a clean installation of Windows 7 SP1 from scratch, activate with certificate and SLP Key, then upgrade to Windows 10 (from Media Creation Tool, not ISO, DVD and/or USB!), activation is automatic and no key required. Then, clean install of Windows 10 from DVD or USB without inserting any key.

Windows 7 SP1 Starter / Home Basic / Home Premium -> Windows 10 Home
    Windows 7 SP1 Pro / Ultimate -> Windows 10 Pro

Windows 8.1 (core) -> Windows 10 Home
    Windows 8.1 Pro -> Windows 10 Pro
    Windows Phone 8.1 -> Windows 10 Mobile

I believe the free upgrade offer only applies to OEM/Retail, not Volume. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

5. tmf2

tmf2 MDL Junior Member

May 5, 2010
    Wow that's been news about the pirated comment. Do you know for sure that's what is happening? I lost my legit key to my OS and just used toolkit for a fast fix.

Dennis