Connecting Laptop to HDTV using HDMI - no audio

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Monoshang, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Monoshang

Monoshang MDL Novice

May 8, 2010
    I'm trying to connect my laptop to my HDTV using the HDMI cable. Video is perfect, but no audio. I've been trying to find info on the web with no success.
    I've tried the following.

1) Updated the driver - the latest version.
    2) Tried restarting computer with HDMI cable plugged into PC and TV
    3) Went to control panel and under sound - manage audio devices, tried all the options as defaults and restarting.

By the way, the audio devices under "playback" tab, were
    1) speakers
    2) digital audio (S/PDIF)

I can't find HDMI option!! and I can't get it to show up?!?

Please can anyone help me.

Thanks.

oh, my laptop is running Windows 7 basic.

Thank you.

2. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    dont qoute me on this but i hooked up my nephews(it was a while ago)but far as i can remember there was an audio seting on the tv that had to be selected.hdmi audio input or something like that.sorry cant be more specific.hope it helps.good luck.

3. danmed

danmed MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2010
    Couple of things to consider with HDMI Audio..

1) Does your graphics card actually support it (not all of them do)
    2) Have your TV turned on and on the right channel first (something about the handshake not being completed if the HDMI port can't detect the TV on boot)
    3) Ensure you've got an HDMI Audio option in Control Panel > Sound and it's set as your default output..

That's all i can think of at the moment...

Sorry.. just re-read.. I'd say your GFX card doesn't support audio over HDMI. Is it a PCI Express GFX card or an OnBoard output?

4. WeAreNotAlone

WeAreNotAlone MDL Member

Aug 31, 2007
    #4 WeAreNotAlone, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
    A: "my laptop" = what mfg, what model? Please refer to your laptop by it's model ID.
    (That kind of info helps others help YOU better, shows you respect others time (saves alot of guessing), and helps others SEARCHING later on (help them find this thread) When creating a thread take a few moments to do a COPY and PASTE of model ID string in BODY of opening post.

(* I noticed above your comment about "searching the net with zero success- I don't know about you but I like it when I can type in a model # of something and the symptoms and I find threads/posts related to problems affecting that model".... For that to happen though people have to post their units ID strings instead of referring the unit as "my laptop", or my pc...)

PS: Another reason for posting model id of hardware you have (maybe putting that in the thread title as well -along with YEAR model machine is) is it might catch the eye of someone who has that or a similar unit, or works on those models that might be able to offer some advice.

B: LINK to what laptop you have- Ditto for the above reasons.

BTW: I have a desktop machine that I added a vid card with has HDMI which is supposed to output audio.... It doesn't work as the card takes (2) IRQ's (one for vid, the other for sound) :mad:

Various thoughts:

1: Are you running the latest BIOS?
    1a: Are you running a hacked BIOS?
    1b: Has HDMI ever worked?

2: Have you checked mfg's site, read thru the readme files?

3: Have you contacted mfg's tech support? (if nothing else to document problem, GPU might be defective.)

4: Another issue is: How old is TV? (PS what model tv are you connecting it too?) Some TV's have issues... There are different versions of HDMI...

5: Are you going thru a HDMI switch? (Just asking)
    5A: Is cable verified GOOD?

6: Googled with your units ID string to see if others are reporting issues?

7: Tried connecting to another display? (Laptop being portable this shouldn't be too hard)

8: Tried turning on TV after computer is up?

9: Does device manager show any problem areas?

10: Is the laptop "stock"? (On some laptops you can change the GPU (video card)

11: Windows 7 basic.... is the OS stock? What Media Center? app are you using? How old is install? Do you install /remove apps allot?

12: I remember reading a post about a Phillips TV, and the settings it needed to function correctly... (I think digital audio had to be selected)

13: Drivers: Tried older version? (Newest is not always best)

14: Hardware- Delete references to hardware and let Win7 install drivers
    15: Have you gone into SAFE MODE and checked to see if there are any "ghost" listings? (Double listings of device- IIRC caused by incomplete/ corrupt driver installs)
    16: Disabled all unneeded apps running in background?

Sorry I can't point you to the exact cause of your problem- I never got HDMI to work on that desktop machine... I have some other PC's and newer video cards with HDMI but alas I haven't had the time to install them...

One last thing: I would assume you may be posting your question on other boards...

When you do figure it out.... Post back the "fix" in as much detail as possible....

5. applegate

applegate MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Most Graphical cards DO NOT send audio through the HDMI connection yet. (check the documentation or the manufactory site of your card)

You have to connect the "SPDIF out" separately to a receiver or your HDTV.

(note: with a stand-alone blue-ray player the sound (digital) will be send through the HDMI cable)