Continue XP support with POSREADY hack?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Captain Zilog, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Captain Zilog

Captain Zilog MDL Junior Member

Feb 16, 2010
    What does the braintrust here think?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
    "Installed"=dword:00000001

Supposed to continue support for XP because of XP Embedded POS....

MS says NO, of course!

2. Jazz

Jazz MDL Senior Member

Jun 7, 2014
    #2 Jazz, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    Not main Support, POSREADY only Extended Support until 2019

Here's Microsoft Statement and Warn about this Hack reg

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ogodei

ogodei MDL Novice

Apr 7, 2014
    Fud!

Right! Exactly the same as XP had before Apr 8, 2014... so the hack is good enough.

True enough! If it weren't so, no hack would be needed to get 'em! :)

Very true: neither do they fully protect Windows Embedded and Windows Server 2003 customers.

True again. Of course they are not tested against Windows XP, since they're not intended for Windows XP! Then again, given the amount of issues that previous updates caused (when XP was supported), there's room for doubting whether MS updates have EVER been tested thoroughly enough on Windows XP. Or on any other MS OS for that matter. Moreover, "significant" is one of those intensifier words one uses to make things look more dire, but which, on a closer look, in a context like the present one, are actually devoid of any significate: it is there just to make the statement seem more pompous.

Hence, a single question remains: "so what?" :p

4. tenbucks

tenbucks MDL Novice

Sep 17, 2013
    ^
    But they are intended for XP since these are the same patches* the CSA customers get for Windows XP.
    * Minus a line or 2 in the updates.inf file and a modified update.exe that do an OS version check.

5. ismethere

ismethere MDL Senior Member

Apr 7, 2014
    Thanks, i will tried as you did..something happens ...Roll Back..right?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ToastedBread

ToastedBread MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2014
    Always worth a shot to try POS updates. I'm for experimentation! :)

7. LeoNeeson

LeoNeeson MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2014
    Why bother with Windows Updates at all? they can plant a backdoor in any of these updates and nobody knows. Better get one or two really good firewalls (one software and one hardware), and be sure to test any file you download, and you will never need any "Windows Update" anymore! Do you really trust 100% Microsoft and company?.
    Just IMHO. :rolleyes:

8. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    I really dough that M$ would do anything to harm someone's computer. They are in bad enough shape right now. Should it ever be found out that they have done something of this nature, their credibility would be flushed down the toilet.
    The way I see it is they are floating in the toilet bowel right now. All that is needed is the flush lever to be activated. :D

9. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I agree with 99% of that oldsh_t. Everything but their credibility :D They have none! haha

10. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    I would probably trust Microsoft to not do anything "funny", can't say the same for Google and Apple.

11. LeoNeeson

LeoNeeson MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2014
    100% agree. Google and Apple are less trustworthy (on privacy matters), than Microsoft. Microsoft is the less evil of the three.

12. ToastedBread

ToastedBread MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2014
    Never know when M$ will head down the route of Googly and Apply though; corporates that get too big to fail may just do anything to ensure that they never will.