Control Panel R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by titian, Oct 5, 2015.

1. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    @ titian, i dunno... they decided on a policy, for whatever reason..
    and it is not a sound policy. it looks like suicide to me.. and i for one
    have decided to walk away from that policy, even if costs money..
    next stop linux. even if i have to relearn all i ever knew.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    Have no problem if it is 64 of 32 bit, good for touch or not, but what we are left with is half and half. So now I have to remember it is in the control panel .... no it is in the settings panels ... no where the he!! is it? If they want to port it over to a settings panel, do it. This half and half is what does not work for me. Oh that is right windows was released half done with half baked edge, settings panel, taking out spying .................... :D.

Regards

3. shawnmos

shawnmos MDL Member

Oct 27, 2007
    By consistent I meant across all windows devices. Not with previous versions of windows.

4. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    okay. i can sympathise with engineer 2k2.. for windose versions do not fall out the sky.. you work with them.. mb for years.
    until you decide it has no longer got a future.. i mean across all windose devices too...:g:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    is it that we must discuss linix all over:eek:

6. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    not necessarily, paul.. but the last few versions were not very commendable, i think.

7. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009

ok and note that not all threads are for linix. MJ did it the most and please stick with that useless discussing over there because I'm tired to see this in WINDOWS section. This paranoiac blabla is boring over the time. Please do not take it as an offend but some are very very tired upon that BS over time. Period

8. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    sorry, paul, no intention to offend you, but it is not all bs. i did not like to walk away from windose, you know. but okay. dig your own hole, just as you like.

9. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009

lol ... still dign a big hole not only by myself :D

10. yro

yro MDL Addicted

Jul 26, 2009
    windows is not going to die.

its going to be "new" for new users. we, old days users, are going to die if we do not follow the new directions of windows (EDIT.: and other oses). simples as that.

windows 10 is like an paradigm. its taking the hole thing to a hole new level of usability with its interface, options, etc. new users feel confortable with it. not us, old school.

I guess its something like what is going on with video-games industry. the majority of players are going for mobile as the developers. thats the way it is. and its sad, I know.

Think about the glory days of Arcades. Jesus, I love play in Arcade. Mame stuff... Namco, Capcom games from the old days.. I love it and I still grab some roms, some emulators to play with and Im, now, building my personal Arcade machine to have an multi-games machine at home. But the kids? They just dont care. And thats the way it is. The same with operating systems...

Get used or go to hell because industry is changing and we are not...

sad but true..

11. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    tjah. yro, i was going to leave this discussion to paul.. it is his hole that is he is digging..
    but some things that you said are really nice, imo.. so despite myself, i need to answer..
    it is by no means my intention to start a flaming thing. i may be an oldie, but i know when
    i see garbage when i see it. and i saw a lot of that, copyright m$. and i am not playing their
    game. who do they think that they are? go to hell? ohno.. they are well on their way to that..
    all by themselves..

12. zero2dash

zero2dash MDL Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Just one more reason to not want anything to do with 10.
    I think it's stupid to have 2 places to edit settings instead of 1, but I think it's equally stupid to break what didn't need to be fixed.
    For all intents and purposes IMHO we're back to square 1 and Windows 8 here...first boot, ask people if they are mouse or touch. If mouse, Explorer+Control Panel. If touch, Metro+Options.
    Amazing how they've blown what, 5 years now and done practically nothing except further erode a once stable base.

If I'm learning an OS to replace what already works, then I throw my hands up and walk out of the camp of Redmond. I'll run 7 until it's not feasible to do so, and then at that point I'll still run 7, I'll just dual boot with *nix. Anything that requires internet, I'll do in *nix. Anything else (games), I'll run in 7 and (if need be), will be without ethernet.

13. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    If only the Settings app wouldn't be so color- and lifeless, and wasting so much screen real-estate on some pages (just have a look at the Start menu folder selection, basically a narrow list of pill switches). It's too focused on shades of gray and essentially oversimplified. IMO the animations are out of place, too. At least the old control panel had some style.

No chance we see Win32 going away anytime soon. There's too much "legacy" code depending on it, and we've already seen what happens if it's essentially not available anymore - just have a look at Windows RT.

14. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    i rest my case...

15. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #35 HALIKUS, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    ?

Code:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Context Classic ControlPanel to right-click context menu of the Desktop
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\DesktopBackground\Shell]
    ;ControlPanel
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\DesktopBackground\Shell\ControlPanel]
    @=hex(2):40,00,25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,\
      00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,73,00,\
      68,00,65,00,6c,00,6c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,2d,00,33,\
    "Icon"=hex(2):63,00,6f,00,6e,00,74,00,72,00,6f,00,6c,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,\
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\DesktopBackground\Shell\ControlPanel\command]
    @="rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL"

16. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #36 Muerto, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021

17. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    This might be off-topic post. In the ongoing briefing on Microsoft hardware event. They talk about holographic computing. Is Windows operating system going to that direction in the future besides the Hololens is promising in that area?

18. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    I deleted two postings. Please stay on topic and be nice to each other.

19. Drexl

Drexl MDL Junior Member

Aug 9, 2007
    My concern with this is accessing more advanced settings. If you look at what is in Settings and what is in Control Panel, the overarching theme is that Settings seems to be all about casual controls that are okay for users to change, while the advanced settings for admins are still in Control Panel. There is hardly anything in Settings that prompts UAC; even the link to Device Manager cannot be right-clicked to run as admin. There is even a setting to change the network type (they don't bother to ask now) that is completely hidden if you view it as a standard user. It's not grayed out; it's just not there at all. I really hope that if these are merged, that all of the settings will be fully accessible as a standard user with admin credentials.

I loved how UAC made it possible to use a standard user account full-time and still make administrative changes via elevation. I really hope we aren't going to go back to the days when you had to actually log in to the admin account, or just stay in the admin account all the time like most people did on XP (and some still do).

20. pvdven777

pvdven777 MDL Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Totally with you on this one.
    I put Win10 RTM on one PC to start my rollout. But that is where my rollout actually stopped as well.
    My rollout plans were great but after playing with win10 for like 30min. I was like WTF, this thing ain't done fully !

So even though it runs fine at the core, there is just so much stuff not right : privacy, forced updates, half baked implementations of half baked concepts all over the place, compatibility issues galore whilst installing even though hardware should be compatible etc. etc. ........ that I have decided to keep my machines on Win7/8.1 for the good forseeable future.