Control Panel R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by titian, Oct 5, 2015.

1. zero2dash

zero2dash MDL Member

Aug 30, 2012
    No, just no. Not even close.
    There's more chance and risk of a data breach than someone breaking into my home.

Data breaches have increased in frequency and damage caused...yet according to you the cloud is safer than your home. No offense but that's a ludicrous statement. Unless you live in a cardboard box in a dilapidated area, that'll never be true. I can protect my home, and cloud providers can protect their data centers and networks...the odds are, the network gets hacked before a stranger sets foot in my house.

2. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Possibly you are taking safe on the ground of breaking into your home as in burglary alone. That is very discouraging of you. Hackers or family members can as well have right to your information in your laptops at home through information sharing(password, email account, internet, etc). We often times see that happens around the world. The ones that usually happens to cloud computing are occasional unlike the individual facing Trojans, spywares or information shared with friends or family members without them having idea of what is happening.

Even if my house is made of cardboard(as you are trying to portray as if you are a billionaire or something) and you live in Buckingham palace doesn't change the fact you can easily get attacked at home laptop than a cloud. You are only trying to deny that fact. I think any breach in cloud is usually the responsibility of the administration collusion and poor security system. Most of the stolen information depend on individual carelessness.

Why are academic institutions, big banks, corporate companies, etc using the cloud if it is not safer? I think you are making your argument based on sheer beliefs not based on facts.

3. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    I fixed one brand for you. THEY NEVER WILL USE ANY 3rd PARTY CLOUD since they have own storage facilities even on islands without external access

4. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    :laie::laie::laie::laie::laie:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Thank you for the correction! I think one of Nederlands banks got the red light to do that last year, etc - I can't remember precisely where I read that news. I am not so familiar with European banks but that is the news I read somewhere.

6. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    What is so funny? You have the right to argue against my post rather than being childish.

7. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Just wondering, how do you know they use any cloud, and there's only a maybe 15-30% less of attacks on provider environments over on-premises environments. Safer, based on a percentage, but not totally safe.

8. maya77

maya77 MDL Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I like Settings more anyway.

9. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    That was my argue against your post. No banks store their information "in the cloud". "The cloud" is a storage space run by a third-party company. Would you trust your life savings in the hands of random people on the street?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Actually, that is more or less mocking my post not arguing against it as you try to claim in this post. Even if big banks aren't doing that, which I still think there is plan for it in the future, although, I am corrected in prior post, there are evidence cloud is safer than your laptop as I said earlier.

However, if this classic Control Panel is finally eradicated from Windows 10 there will be more use of commands to interact with OS process by many people. My understanding is that this will give people opportunity to have interest in learning about the use of commands rather that all the GUI thing all the time - if they want to be seen as having good knowledge of Windows 10. It will go a long way to usher in the power of networking to average users as PowerShell is more powerful than before in that area. It is going to be Powerful enough to act like terminal in Linux or Unix operating systems.

11. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    :eek::eek::eek: Windows 11 will be called...MS-WoOS 11. :laie:
    Slackware...beware!!! :laie: :laie: :laie:

12. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Can we just cry now though. I mean The control panel is the most efficient way outside of the god panel to access everything.

I'm gonna go cry now in a corner.

13. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    You have really no clue about them performance-wise.

:rolleyes:

14. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    For the average person maybe you are correct, for most here I think you are wrong. Safe because most have no idea what a backup is, a firewall, sharing information on a public board, they do not understand what a personal PC can do (or a hard drive has a life span) other than email, facebook and where they store all their pictures in one unbacked up place. For others, which may include bank information, to have 20 years of family photos stored on someone elses computer for safe keeping is an act of faith that some care not to explorer. That said sharing of files on others computers (clouds), where you know what you are sharing and do not need to open your PC to do so, is a good thing. I would prefer to have multiple backups of my information myself than trusting someone else with that, put that backup in someone else's safe, your safe (fire box) on site and offsite. Many times it has nothing to do with privacy or if the NSA sees it but everything to do with losing it. I think clouds (blind faith) for backup are for people with their heads in them.

Who cares if the control panel is called settings and gets a new GUI if all the settings are there? The half and half is to put some of the more common ones at the finger tips of the small devices however they have also removed them from the control panel leaving the desktop user to have 2 interfaces now to navigate which all use to be in one (a steady screw desktops in favor of the kiddy toys). If they port all settings over fine, keeping two is and will be a pain.

Regards

15. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    The problem I see here is that of the user interface Microsoft wants people to use. One one side we have users who use a non-touch screen environment because lets face there are really not that many touch devices being used on the laptop / desktop side. From what I can gleam of what is being done in the beta testing of the operating system in the higher up Windows 10 builds a decision seems to have been made. Microsoft looks to want to move towards a future that uses 100% touch devices even at the detriment of their user base. The core issue with this is that the logic is simply flawed. The best option is to provide a choice on a per user basis so that people can have a touch enabled gui and non touch gui. It also perplexes me why they need to reinvent the wheel on defining what the control panel looks like. The other problem with this mindset is that it completely screws the normal desktop user over. :weep: Also it adds a level of complexity to the interface that was not already there by having in a way 2 interfaces. This is worse than Windows 8 in that they are ripping out chunks of the interface in an effort to burn the classic interface to the ground. If anything this is going to drive me to linux that doesn't make radical half baked design decisions.

16. coromonadalix

coromonadalix MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    i hate the new control panel, haaaaaaate it. The GOD mode is helping me a lot.

If M$oft whant to pay me a 32" touch screen monitor to replace my 32" BenQ, im willing to try this "new" control panel :)

17. LEXX911

LEXX911 MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Huh? Why don't you share with us this "new control panel" you are talking about?

18. shawnmos

shawnmos MDL Member

Oct 27, 2007
    What exactly doesn't work with a keyboard and mouse???

19. Netbanshee

Netbanshee MDL Junior Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Counting the steps. Windows keeps walking away and Linux keeps walking closer. For now it's just easier to keep windows around instead of emulating. RIP CP :cool: