Convert Windows Home Server PP3 Trial to OEM?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by ZaForD, Jan 19, 2010.

1. pseudus

pseudus MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2010
    #81 pseudus, Sep 9, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
    Gonna try and make another disc with those files. I tried Fixedbit's WHS disc maker, and that didn't work.

I am really frustrated with this, I just can't seem to get it to work. Is there no reliable way to just beat the trial disc just like it is?

Update: Made a new disc using Freestyler's Revised guide, the files sebus linked to, and a a key that starts with K3TQ3. No go. Still asking to activate after several reboots, and appears to be counting down.

So what now? I respectfully ask for some help here.

Thanks!

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    I suggest you go and buy HP MediaSmart machine
    Comes with everything ready for you...

sebus

3. pseudus

pseudus MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2010
    #83 pseudus, Sep 10, 2010
    With all due respect; you sir ***DELETED*** Why bother posting if you don't wanna help? You obviously know what's going on, and spend a great deal of time on this board, but prefer to make quips and not be of help. (EDITED PER REQUEST)

4. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    #84 FreeStyler, Sep 10, 2010
    @pseudus
    No need for name calling and such, please edit asap

If you have followed the guide exactly step by step and still end up with a non-activated system the only reason i can think of why it will not auto activate is because of missing or incorrect SLP string in BIOS/DMI area. This revised guide is tested thoroughly and always resulted in a nice auto-activated WHS installation, so if you can't get it to work i have to say sorry, but in that case this apparently is over your head and i have to agree with sebus, best buy a complete package.

We have given you all the help you could ask for, now it is up to you, review what you exactly did and/or follow a few easy steps in the guide and build your own WHS installation disc.

5. pseudus

pseudus MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2010
    Freestyler, thank you for your help. I am still hazy on verifying the SLP string in my BIOS, will read further, and ask a specific question if one arises. I will not be defeated.

6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #86 sebus, Sep 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  7. pseudus

pseudus MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2010
    #87 pseudus, Sep 15, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
    Sorry to not reply sooner. My RL is pretty full. Anyway, long story short, I got it to work. I used OEMChanger with the files you linked to Sebus. Not sure why it didn't work with just the DVD as I followed the instructions and used the same files. Oh well, It works finally and I am extremely grateful for all your help, both Sebus and Freestyler.

For the record, this is where I got confused.

I thought in a previous post you said the strings I got from that tool were for XP only.

I think I am still confused and probably just lucky I got it to work. One more thanks, because I truly am grateful, and I apologize for my comments, I was deeply frustrated.

8. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    NO, the strings in BIOS are what they are!, you use different oembios.* 4 files set for XP & 2003 (that is the only difference)

sebus

9. diehardfan

diehardfan MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2010
    Thank you for all the effort guys.

I am stuck at CDIMAGE_2.54 step. When I double click on CDIMAGE_2.54 .exe a cmd prompt windows opens up and immediately closes. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

10. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    cdimage is command line tool!
    Open command line & type the whole command as specified

Not everything in Windows has GUI... (in case you did not know)

sebus

11. diehardfan

diehardfan MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2010

Thanks, got it.

12. diehardfan

diehardfan MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2010
    hey guys,

Please bare with me, bios modding and SLP are totally new to me. Its like French, the only word I know is a four letter work that starts with F and ends with K, hehehe.

Would appreciate it if you guys can point me to exactly which thread to read with regards to choosing the bios and OEM:SLP keys pertaining to this guide. As, it seems like different Windows OS have different criteria, that is the sense I am getting after all the reading so far.
    As I have a Gigabyte motherboard and totally lost which Bios file to use and what does OEM:SLP key does.

Thanks a lot.

13. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Man, which os do u wanna activate????

14. diehardfan

diehardfan MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2010
    hahaha, Windows Home Server PP3 Trial sir

15. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Well, what type of bios u have??? check it by seeing in dxdiag or use everest.........

16. diehardfan

diehardfan MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2010
    #96 diehardfan, Oct 12, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
    thru dxdiag, Award Modular Bios v6.00PG

OEMbios.exe, if it helps:

C:\>oembios.exe
    Windows XP OEMBIOS Test v1.1/269/106 (C) 2007-2010 severach @ msfn forums
    F:Gigabyte OEMBIOS.CAT CRC=6C0C2E95
    E:HP & Compaq OEMBIOS.CAT CRC=CD4E1902
    These Royalty OEM install CD's should preactivate (SLP) on your system.
    Lines starting with E: are not reliably detected when running under Windows
    Press Enter!

btw, someone just scored 200 :worthy:

17. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  18. diehardfan

diehardfan MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2010
    Thank you Tito for the help so far.

But let me give you some more info as I have some concerns. Currently I have the Windows Home Server installed through VMware server, using the Gigabyte motherboard. As, I am testing out the central backup feature as that is all I need. So far I am liking it and just before I fully deploy it I want to learn how to fully activate it.

Here is another wrinkle, I will be doing my final install on another system with a Intel DG965WH motherboard. Again, I will installing Windows Home Server through VMware server as I only need the central backup feature. So will changing my bios to HP SLP string conflict with my original OS that I will be using, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 which I have a serial for.

Thanks

PS: Sachin is playing like when he started, juat a legend.

19. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  20. navino87

navino87 MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    thanks FreeStyler for your guide... gonna try it out..