Convert Windows Home Server PP3 Trial to OEM?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by ZaForD, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Nebelraser

Nebelraser MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2011
    That's a bummer... this is also what I thought. Looks like this BIOS has a different structure than usual then.

Funny thing is though that after tattooing and editing the DMI area with the tool, WHS properly shows the manufacturer and the model name in the Console when going to Settings -> Resources. There I can see Hewlett-Packard instead of To Be Filled By O.E.M. (like it was before)

I also tried to modify the BIOS using the mod tool and HP SLI + SLIC21, but it borked the BIOS and had to recover the machine with the original.

I'm sure this is doable somehow but for that, one must know much more about BIOS modding than me. The tool gives options to specify different address ranges than the default but I have no idea how to figure that out. I left everything at default while modding the BIOS...

2. Nebelraser

Nebelraser MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2011
    Never mind... I got it to work.

I used the BIOS mod tool again and instead of leaving the method option on SSV2 (as defaulted), I selected SSV3.
    Flashed the modded BIOS and voilĂ ... WHS is now activated.

3. nuahs

nuahs MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2010
    If anyone can help with the pid file. so do I put (Key PID format 78495-OEM-4211965-XXXXX) where the -OEM- part in the key is my OEM, like HP, DELL, eg (Key PID format 78495-HP-4211965-XXXXX).

I looked at the OEM:SLP text, but that uses an -A- where -OEM- is. A little confused here.

Also the oembios.* files in the iso are oembio.bi_ is it okay to just delete these and replace with the downloaded ones oembios.bin (no underscore). In other words, do the downloaded files also have to have the last letter of the extension replaced with an underscore. Please help.

4. shanghaikid

shanghaikid MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2010
    It seems that MS took down the WHSv1 PP3 Trial download. Does anyone have an alternative download link that I can use? TIA

5. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. piksi

piksi MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2012
    Now that Megaupload has gone...

Could someone upload those files needed for the guide in page 4?

Thanks.

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    USE THE STICKY!!!

sebus

8. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    The files were uploaded in megaupload, which is dead now!! :(

May be FreeStyler can find them in his repository & re-upload ;)

9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    #170 Tito, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2012
  10. mob453

mob453 MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2010
    found suitable hp oembios files here: http: //forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/6077-VLK-and-OEMBIOS-changer[/url]...

just pulled 911medic's .exe apart

11. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
  12. krackpot

krackpot MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    Is anyone using this with Xenserver or ESXi or Hyper-V? Will this method work with a virtualized environment?

13. laidlow12002

laidlow12002 MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2012
    Can someone please explain to me what I have to do here? I used the HP tatoo disk to but the oembios crc that it changed it to is not listed in the instructions for this mod. I did find the correct bios files for the crc that it changed it to but that aparently won't work. Can someone please help me here my eyes are bleeding from reading. Five installs later and still have to activate. Is their an idiots guide to tatooing a certain bios sting to your motherboard? Thanks for any help that can be offered.

14. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Ofcourse it will work, as it only relies on SLP 1.0

Some of hypervisors bios have to be modded (Xen), others (ESXi or Hyper-V) you only need to use Dell oembios* set

But I do not see any advantage running it as VM, as it is storage appliance (not to say it will not work)

sebus

15. laidlow12002

laidlow12002 MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2012
    Sebus

I have read all that and I am missing something in translation somewhere. I don't understand how to tatoo the needed slp string to my bios. When I choose option 2 from the DMI Boot CD it does show 3 other oembios string none of which are listed on the first post of this thread. I know I am missing something very simple here. I have created the dvd's with the correct bios on them but I don't understand how to put the correct slp on my bios.

16. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    What are those already present oembios strings???

17. laidlow12002

laidlow12002 MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2012
    OK before I run the DMI Boot CD this is the only string I have:

ELITEGROUP OEMBIOS.CAT CRC=8EE1223C

After I run the CD and choose option 2 it then shows 3 other strings:

HEWLITT-PACKARD OEMBIOS.CAT CRC=00A1EECB
    HEWLITT-PACKARD OEMBIOS.CAT CRC=3BA155E1
    HP&COMPAQ OEMBIOS.CAT CRC=CD4E1902

I did create an image and install with the correct bios file for the HP&COMPAQ one but it didn't work. The breakdown is I don't know how to put the correct string on my board. I have spent countless hours reading and have installed the server about 8 times now. I would buy a key if I could and would buy WHS 2011 if my processor would support 64 bit. I know that the problem is in my lack of knowledge but I am willing to try anything at this point. Thanks for any and all suggestions.