Copying Files Between drives in same system slows computer way down. Any solutions?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by choliscott, Jun 7, 2010.

1. choliscott

choliscott MDL Novice

May 4, 2010
    Hi Folks, I was wondering if anybody had any solutions or suggestions on when copying a bunch of files (lots of gigs worth between drives). Once it gets started then the system slows down, to the point its almost unbearable to use.

Using Windows 7 32 Ultimate, 4 gigs ram, Processor is 1090-T.

I thought I read something that going to the 64 bit version helps with this, but couldn't confirm.

Thanks

2. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Having the drives in AHCI mode and using the performance driver helps (both Intel and AMD have performance AHCI drivers).

Its got to do with the system management, the cacheing system of windows, the cacheing system of the drive, the drive brand and type, and the placement of data on the drives. There may be some other small issues too, but remember copying to or from your system drive you will inevitably experience a drop in performance. Its unfortunate Microsoft hasn't had the foresight to be able to pause data transfers, or to have an option to run them at a lower priority.

3. wackym

wackym MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2010
    Try copying on a "virgin" windows - without antivirus (or with AV disabled). In my observations Windows 7 has a problem with a change made in file locking system and I/O time share distribution. FI shutting down the wmware virtual machine while running ESET antivirus on Windows 7 brings my system almost to point of halt for few (20) seconds. On the same rig in XP (also with ESET) it works without a problem. Anyone observed similar behaviour?

4. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Drive failure maybe?

Iv had this happen to me on Vista Ultimate x64 like with a quad core and 8gb ram, turned out drive was throwing up errors. I ran chkdsk and Seatools DOS (Seagate drive..shoulda went WD tbh)
    Seems ok since like.

5. choliscott

choliscott MDL Novice

May 4, 2010
    I just wanted to clarify, what you mean is that just go by going to Win 7 64 bit, I would still have the same issue?