coreboot anyone?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by duh, May 14, 2013.

1. departe

departe MDL Novice

May 25, 2015
    This will be soo cool,couse now i can't use my MC8775v Sierra 3G modem due to hardwere limit...that sucks :( soo if i got this right a new bios tht we can flash it wil give as a new pc:)) wit endless upgraddes :) right?

2. emockler

emockler MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2014
    Hi,
    I'm trying to mod or possibly replace with coreboot the VMware ESXi 6.0 bios440.rom. Not for slic or any mods already posted, or I would be done already.
    I'm trying to enable the "select primary gpu" or similar setting, so I can boot the VM displayed on a passed through PCIe GPU. For instance an HD6450
    The reference bios440.rom contains a display0.rom, which I would assume is the VMware svga rom. It's nice I don't have to worry about bricking, since I boot a VM from this. I monkeyed around and changed the logo, intentionally broke the svga (no boot) but don't know how to accomplish the GPU selection.

I read somewhere it's very difficult to replicate this bios with coreboot, due to the way Vmware presents ram & cpu. Is this still true? Would it be easier to continue with PBE and the existing bios440.rom? I think the display0.rom would not be needed with a HD6450 that contains it's own, so no need for this. Maybe I can trick the PCI map to aim the svga device at the added pcie gpu? I really have no idea, just guessing.

Everything I find pertains to adding vtx, slic, etc.

But this would make ESXi with passed through GPU much easier to use, since the VM would maybe use the passed card during txt mode install etc.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks!
    Eric