Could someone help to extract the Microsoft's generic USB 3.0 drivers for me?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Wonder Woman, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman MDL Member

Jun 5, 2007
    I have checked and can confirm that the laptop PC does not have USB 2.0 ports. All 4 ports are USB 3.0.

2. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman MDL Member

Jun 5, 2007
    I will give it a try.

3. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman MDL Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Are they 32-bit or 64-bit drivers?

4. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    Did you try using a USB 2 stick to install? - my stupid question for the day.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Midowz

Midowz MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2009
    #25 Midowz, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
    Before I can help you further, you need to do some research and you need to be familiar with these terms

Windows Imaging Format,
    Also know as .wim files. Most famous names are install.wim and boot.wim.
    - There is plenty of information regarding these files types on teh webz, and on a side note a .wim file is a sort of container that can hold multiple images in it. boot.wim on a regular Windows Vista/7/8 contains two images. One for Windows PE and one called "Windows Setup". Integrating drivers for storage devices is required for boot.wim image 2 (Windows Setup) apparently.

Deployment Image Servicing and Management
    DISM. Your best friend when modifying .wim files! Do a google search for 'integrate drivers boot.wim dism'. You will find a lot of tutorials on this subject.

If you mount install.wim from a Windows 8 RP install iso/dvd, you can browse to *mount-dir*\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and find all drivers that exist in that image. The folders that starts with USB are of course the most interesting ones. Since you only need a few drivers for your project, I suggest a manual copy/pasta for the drivers you need. Simply just copy the USB* folders, and add those files to your Windows 7 boot.wim 2 and install.wim * using dism.

I will give you an example here:
    (Run this on a Windows 7 computer. This way you already have the tools needed, since they are included in Windows 7)

D:\USB-Drivers\ - contains USB 3.0 Windows 8 RP Generic Microsoft Drivers from the file I uploaded earlier
    D:\DVD\ - Contains a copy of your Windows 7 DVD
    D:\MountDir\ - A temporary folder needed to expand the .wim files

Open up CMD with administrator privileges and run these commands
    dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:D:\DVD\sources\install.wim /index:1 /MountDir:D:\MountDir
    dism /image:D:\MountDir /Add-Driver /driver:D:\USB-Drivers\x86 /recurse
    dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:D:\MountDir /commit

(Replace 1 with the number of the image/edition you want to add drivers too.)

Do the same for boot.wim 2 :

dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:D:\DVD\sources\boot.wim /index:2 /MountDir:D:\MountDir
    dism /image:D:\MountDir /Add-Driver /driver:D:\USB-Drivers\x86 /recurse
    dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:D:\MountDir /commit

(Replace x86 with x64 if you are doing this on a 64-bit installation DVD)

When this is done, you now have the USB 3.0 drivers integrated. I don't know if this works or not, since I don't have any system with USB 3.0 nearby, so I can't test this myself unfortunately.

6. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman MDL Member

Jun 5, 2007
    I will give it a try. Thanks so much for your help.

7. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman MDL Member

Jun 5, 2007
    My friend's USB stick is USB 2.0 but her laptop PC's ports are all USB 3.0. Her host controller is Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible host controller.

8. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    I think a USB 2 stick will work in a USB 3 port, it does for me. I'd give it a try anyway.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Midowz

Midowz MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2009
    A USB 3.0 Port is a USB 3.0 Port regardless of the peripheral being connected to it. So, connecting a USB 2.0 peripheral to a USB 3.0 Port would still require USB 3.0 drivers for the controller. No doubt about that.

10. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG MDL Novice

May 31, 2008
    May be you can try rt7lite, I use that to slipstream the asmedia usb and RSTe driver.

11. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    When all else fails - try ANYTHING. If this is a new PC, what OS is on it?

12. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman MDL Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1 (x64)

13. mjgr33n

mjgr33n MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2008
    #34 mjgr33n, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  14. mjgr33n

mjgr33n MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2008
    So far I have tested this with Intel USB3 1.0.5.235 & ASMedia USB3 1.14.10.0 drivers.

Have also integrated Renesas USB3 2.1.36.0 drivers but not had a chance to test them.

15. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman MDL Member

Jun 5, 2007
    #36 Wonder Woman, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Thanks for the info.

In your example given, you wrote:

Code:
    dism /mount-wim /wimfile:boot.wim /index:2 /mountdir:mount
    Question: what is index:2 ??

16. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman MDL Member

Jun 5, 2007
    I have a question: what are index: 1 and index:2 ??

17. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  18. mjgr33n

mjgr33n MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2008
    You don't need an iso file if you installing from a pen drive, just copy all the files and folders to the root of the pen drive as long as you made it bootable before by cleaning it, making new partition and making it active and of course formatting it it will be fine, also you will not end up with 2 boot.wim files only one even if you do both index's which you don't need to do you are still only editing the single boot.wim file, if you have 7-zip installed right click on the boot.wim file and open it in 7-zip and have a look at the structure it gives, it might make more sense to you then :)