Could someone help to extract the Microsoft's generic USB 3.0 drivers for me?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Wonder Woman, Aug 1, 2012.

1. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    No one boot.wim with two images inside it. Just like windows 7 install.wim has more than one version of windows.

2. remzicavdar

remzicavdar MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2011
    Yes manualy installing the driver is far less work than you are doing right know :yeahright:

3. mjgr33n

mjgr33n MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2008
    Play around with tools like gimagex and open up both your boot.wim and install.wim and have a look at them, once you have see what an index is etc it might help plus like I said if you open one up using 7zip you can see the structure is very much like opening up your C Drive on your machine with folders such as Windows, Program Files, Program Data, Users, etc.

4. mjgr33n

mjgr33n MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2008
    It sounds like they only have usb3 ports on the laptop they are trying to install to hence they cannot do any sort of installation, let alone a manual one :p Plenty of laptops do not have dvd rom drives to install it via there and you cannot use an external one over usb3 or you run into the same issue :p

Even if they did have usb2 ports it is nice to take advantage of the extra speed of usb3 if you have a fast usb3 pen drive like the Super Talent ST4 I am using, you get a nice boost compared to usb2 speeds.

But with the way things are going it will not be long before all new laptops have only usb3 ports and then we would be stuck unless we did this or MS made new iso's with usb3 support (which I guess they won't for a while as they will be pushing Windows 8).

Also the time it takes to put the drivers into the boot.wim is about 2 minutes once you have WAIK installed and have the drivers, not really a long time.

If we gave up on something because it was time consuming or because some random person told you not to bother we would all be buying MS Windows full price retail boxes.

And sometimes it is just nice to play around with these things just cause you can and you want to see how things work :)

5. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman MDL Member

Jun 5, 2007
    What you wrote above is absolutely correct. I just don't understand why some forum members insisted on me manually installing the USB 3.0 drivers. I suppose they assumed that I have already installed Windows 7 on the laptop PC which isn't the case.

6. XpamAmAdEuS

XpamAmAdEuS MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2009
    Easiest way its to use rt7lite and integrate it to boot image.
    U dont need it in install image.

7. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman MDL Member

Jun 5, 2007
    I used RT7Lite to integrate Microsoft's generic USB 3.0 drivers to the boot image. The laptop PC just won't boot up.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Have you actually tried installing without usb 3.0 drivers I may be wrong but isn't USB3.0 downwardly compatible ?

9. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman MDL Member

Jun 5, 2007
    All 4 ports on the laptop PC are USB 3.0, controlled by Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible host controller. One has to load USB 3.0 drivers during Windows Setup or the HDD and its partitions won't be visible.

10. =)(=

=)(= Guest

Yes, it is possible to connect a USB 2.0 drive in a USB 3.0 port and it will work at USB 2 speeds. No drivers needed.

11. LEXX911

LEXX911 MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Just install Windows 8 and paid $40 for the upgrade.

12. DaRk MaDnEsS

DaRk MaDnEsS MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2011
    sadly not the usb port won't even run in Windows unless the driver is installed

13. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman MDL Member

Jun 5, 2007
    @ Midowz

I integrated Microsoft's generic USB 3.0 drivers that you extracted for me a few days ago into boot.wim 1, boot.wim 2 and install.wim.

My friend's laptop PC is unable to recogize the said drivers.

What are we missing here?

14. XpamAmAdEuS

XpamAmAdEuS MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2009
    Legacy usb 3.0 support in bios its missing then.

I have HTPC asrock z68 pro3 and i wass having same problem,then they upgrade to new bios with ivy bridge support and i get some new features like legacy usb 3.0 support and now i can install windows 7 over usb 3.0 port if i integrate usb drivers to boot image.

15. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman MDL Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Incorrect. I was able to install Microsoft Windows 8 Enterprise (Volume) from a USB stick. The problem is in the OS install disk, which in this case, is Windows 7.

16. Midowz

Midowz MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2009
    What notebook do you have? Manufacturer, model number etc?

17. LesserAnimal

LesserAnimal MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2008
    Some of you seem to have rather poor reading comprehension skills. If you read what she wrote you'll find she has good reason for trying to do it this way. Additionally, while you might not see the value in avoiding having to manually install the drivers someone who spends there day installing OS after OS might. The 15 minutes saved from a single install via usb3 by quicker transfer times and not having to manually download might not be worth the 30 minutes of time spent making your slipstream but what about 5 installs. At that point you save more than an hour a day. Thats time for one extra job, one extra chunk of money, one short day of work. The more you do the greater the benefit.

18. phailyoor

phailyoor MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2012
    I'm pretty sure the win8 USB3 drivers will not work in W7. There is some deeper integration with USB3 in the system beyond just the driver.

19. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    ARISE!

I already know how to DISM add drivers, I have added inte, etron, asmedia. I was wondering if the Windows 8 generic drivers added support for more controllers then those? and if so, which file(s) do I need to take from Windows 8?

c_usb
    c_usbdevice
    usb
    usbhub3
    usbport
    usbstor
    usbxhci

( I know that I will have to retrieve the sys files also.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #60 EFA11, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017